The Carrie Diaries Forums

The CW (ended 0000)

Episode 1 discussion

KasenStuff

[1]Jan 24, 2013
    • level: 5

I don't like Carrie actually having a younger sister. I find it extremely unlikely that a sister would never have been mentioned in her adult life with her adult friends... That and a dead mother... But otherwise it was cute. I'd love the soundtrack! Also, I wonder if we'll ever meet Samantha and the others. I was hoping one of them would have been a childhood friend haha.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anitsirch

[2]Feb 12, 2013
    • level: 1
    I totally agree! I have seen Sex and the city, and there has never been any mention of her sister. Maybe they fought, or something huge happens? We'll have to wait and see! I don't think any of the others are childhood friends, because I think they mentioned it when the series started. (That they became friends when they were adults).

KyahCA

[3]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 6
    That's because the show is based on the book and not the SATC TV show. The Carrie Diaries is actually being quite faithful to its original source, while the original SATC tv show is the one that screwed up by changing Carrie's back story.

80sFan

[4]Feb 25, 2013

I understand, I'd feel the same way. They should stick to what was already given. Problem is, I think Dorrit, as weird as her name is, is the most interesting character on the show. If I watch this show some more, I hope to see more about her.

treestarglo

[5]Mar 3, 2013

There are a few differences:

-I believe Carrie in SATC actually claims to have a brother at some point?

-SATC changes the back story by saying her father left their family when she was 5, nothing about a dying mother, etc (the episode where she starts working at Vogue).

-Technically, in SATC II the movie it explains how & when they all met, which differs from the books where she meets one of the main ladies fairly soon after high school.

I find these differences kind of annoying since, story-wise, there doesn't seem to be a point to having changed them in SATC in the first place. I am even more annoyed that I can spot these differences so easily. They needed to stick with the books for the Carrie Diaries since they use her mother's death as a way to introduce her to NYC, but since this is a prequel it all gets weird when you do what all of us can't help but do: piece the story together in one line (which doesn't work).

Trying to take The Carrie Diaries as a separate piece of fiction & enjoying it for what it is--entertaining.

KasenStuff

[6]Mar 27, 2013
    • level: 5
    Oh I enjoy the show! And thank you Kyah for letting me know that this show follows the book more than SATC did. I'm rather disappointed in the original SATC show than! I find this show very entertaining for a teen drama actually, and even though it's very different from the show we know and love, I kinda hope we get SOME references to her future life there. Maybe I should read the book(s)?

rebachick94

[8]Mar 22, 2014
    • level: 16

This TV show is based off the book series, just as Sex and the City was, and in the books, she actually had two sisters. Let's be honest here...how often was family even mentioned in Sex and the City? How many siblings does Samantha or Miranda have? We know that Miranda's mother dies though she isn't seen or spoken of before. We know that Charlotte has a brother, but I think that's all. I don't think there's any mention or cameo of Samantha's family either. Sex and the City wasn't a show about family. It was about sex, the search for love, and strong powerful women.