The Chew

Weekdays 1:00 PM on ABC Premiered Sep 26, 2011 In Season

The Chew Fan Reviews (401)

6.6
  • The Chew: wish it were better

I like having a cooking program to watch while I'm taking a lunch break from work midday, and The Chew is often entertaining. I understand that it is designed to attract the daytime soap viewers as well as a slightly larger audience, but it is sometimes good and often just dumb. Plus points are Mario Batali and Michael Symon as they are real chefs with amazing ideas and good personalities. Clinton is OK as the host but despite his good personality doesn't really add much. The women are an embarrassment to women on daytime television. Daphne Oz is just a pretty face but not any sort of chef (potato chip with cheddar and a pickle as a snack - oh please, you are making me ill!), only known because of her father, and does not belong on the program. Carla Hall is one of the MOST ANNOYING people I have ever seen on TV (OK, Jerry Springer and Kelly Ripa and a few others are worse); she is definitely a reason to stop watching!!! I'd be thrilled to have a show with Batali, Symon, and an equally excellent female chef on instead of this. Just my two cents worth...
  • Just a comment

I just love this show - I watch it every day. I do however have a couple requests: I notice that Mario and Daphne talk so very fast that its hard to understand what they're saying - could they slow down when they speak? Thank you - thanks for making this show so very entertaining!!
  • Simon Recipes

I love to watch Simon Cook. He is entertaining and adds little tips along the way. His recipes are more our style of home cooking with ordinary ingredients. Mario can roll his eyes all he wants (jealous of Michaels attention) as I have made a lot of Simon's recipes and they are always delicious. Mario's are more restaurant elite and costly recipes which do not interest most of us that watch the show. Do you really think that other Chef's watch this, NO! We are interested in recipes that work, are tasteful and are not all time and ingredient inflated. The other hosts make for some interesting points in the show but are really annoying at times. Will continue to watch as long as Michael Simon is cooking. Thank you for this blog.
  • SALT SALT AND MORE SALT

I LIKE THE SHOW AND WATCH NEARLY DAY BY RECORDING AND WATCHING LATER BUT HAVE A FEW ISSUES WITH SOME OF THEIR RECIPES, THE MOST BEING SALT ADDICTION OF JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY. HOW ABOUT THE CHEFS HAVING A LITTLE THOUGHT ABOUT ELIMINATING SOME OF THE SALT THAT THEY ADD TO "EVERYTHING" THAT THEY COOK. WE HAVE BECOME VERY CONSCIOUS ABOUT SALT INTAKE AND HAVE LEARNED THAT FOOD TASTES JUST FIND WITHOUT BEING SALTY, AFTER TRAVELING AND EATING IN RESTAURANTS AND CRUISE SHIPS THAT EVIDENTLY USE THE SAME PHILOSOPHY" ADD A LITTLE MORE SALT" , AND ENDING UP WITH SWOLLEN LEGS AND FEET, WE NOW COOK WITHOUT ADDING ANY EXTRA SALT. THE ONLY SALT WE CONSUME IS WHAT BECOMES SALT FROM THE NATURAL ELEMENTS IN THE REAL FOOD. IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO GET USED TO THE TASTE OF REAL FOOD BUT IT CAN BE DONE. JUST A THOUGHT TO SEE IF ANYONE OUT THERE AGREES WITH US.
  • It sure looks chilli

I real enjoy you and learn a lot. The mix of your personalities at delightful. I am allergic to capsaicinoids. I see that many of your recipes have jalapenos, hot sauce and different spicy ingredients. I know I can leave them out, but how will it effect the flavor outcome? Thank you for all you share.
  • Tax sugar

I do think we should put tax on things that is no-good for us to help the economy. But I also feel that some people who can not have the diet sugars like slenda,nutrasweet,etc,etc should be tax exempt because of medicinal conditions. I can not have any diet sugars and I have to use sugar. I know there our more who have reactions to those kinds of sugar and it should not be an extra cost because of those conditions they have. I just wanted you to know that some people can not use diet sugars and have to use sugar in their diets. Great show though!
  • Lettice?

I realy like your show. But! yes there is a but. Who or whom decided that a salad should be made with something you find on trees? What happened to iceberg? Even the burger joints and putting this leafy stuf on my burger. Yuck why the change and WHO DECIDED THIS FOR US. Ps make the servings larger some of use really like to eat.
  • Carla - Coconut layer cake

Carla - need help. Want to make your coconut layer cake and am confused as to what type of coconut you used. It looks like shave - when I looked on line for shaved it says that it's unsweetened. Do you use just really sweetened flaked coconut that you would by in any grocery store or do you need to get from a specialty store? Sweetened or unsweetened?

Please help!
  • Keep it fun, Keep it interesting, Keep it "COOKIN"!

"risestafani" what a mean thing to say! Not necessary girl!

I love the "Chew" and look forward to it. When not at home the DVR records it to be watched later.

Enjoy all the hosts many talents, each of which is different. Its fun, interesting, and that includes...... ALL the hosts!
  • Chew audience and tasting table member

I loved my experience! We were on the show last March and my friend and I were chosen to sit at the tasting table. Daphne and Mario were not there BUT Chef Curtis Stone and actress Yvette Nicole Brown were there. I met everyone and they were all nice. I really wanted to meet Clinton the most, but left there really loving Michael and Carla's warm personalities. Clinton was delightful, but they left an impression on me along with the two guest hosts. I have pictures (selfies) with all of them, which they all initiated. Did I mention I loved my experience? I ate Michael's and Curtis Stones' food. Oh, I got play a game while on there and won a small prize that meant a lot to me. The key to sitting at the tasting table.... There isn't one. It was pure luck and it was on my side that day. I've been a fan since day one, and I believe it was just meant for me. I guess it was a blessing. I still think about my adventure often.
  • Cook Books Needed

How do I order your cook books. I do not see anywhere on your home page?
  • Carla Hall

2.5
    I really love this show and the commaradomy(sp) between the hosts. The ONLY thing that disgusts me is Carla me she is like the fingernails on a blackboard-and sooo phony and a show off-wish the producers would replace her
  • Kimarie50

I love you guys!!!!!
  • Good chemistry

I really like the show. I think there's a good chemistry with everyone.. like, in real life, they could be friends. Yeah... sometimes, there's a bit of ribbing of each other, but that's what friends do. Some of the recipes are a bit out of my league (not much of a cook), but I always learn good tips to try in my cooking. When the show first came out, I thought... won't last long. The title seemed silly, like almost taking the title from the show, The View. I was pleasantly surprised, though. It's funny and entertaining, and always learn something. I love Carla's style, too.
  • Audience letdown

WOW!! Shame on you for, in my opinion, discriminating against older people in your audience!!!

I'm so stupid for NOT looking at the hundreds of photographs of the CHEW audience BEFORE I planned to get tickets as a surprise for my wife on our NYC trip because she is such a great cook and loves the CHEW. I could not find ONE older person in ANY of the audience pictures.

I waited weeks until the morning of the 1iota (the folks who regulate your audience) website finally said the tickets were available and had to be one of the first to ask for tickets. I had already signed up with that website and given them ALL that personal information about me including age (required) in order to later request the tickets.

This is not setting any kind of good example or producing good TV audience relationships.

Fred Marschak

Martinsburg, PA

• A "PINCH OF SALT" ?

What do the chefs recommend to replace the fistful of salt for those of us on a restricted diet? Please respond by e=mail to: elsyd13@gmail .com. The show is one of the most enjoyable I have ever seen in my 87 years!
  • Mario Swallowed His Manners

Whenever I watch this show Mario is saying something obnoxious or being disrespectful (not in an entertaining way) to Carla which doesn't fit the program, in fact it makes it hard to watch. Seems like he has a personal problem and the other cast members will only feed off of it.

Tip: Keep your personal problems off air!
  • great show

Love the show, however it appears that Mario always makes ugly faces especially when Carla says something. I think he is rude to her. I could do without seeing his face on the show, perhaps even another female chef would be better than him.
  • PLEEESSSSSEEE NOOOOOOO

I absolutely LOVE this show!!! Everyone is Fabulous!!! (And they make me laugh!) But why oh why do you have a Kardashian on??? I almost don't want to watch this episode, but because i love it so wll :(.
  • To Each His Peach

These posts show that everyone's taste is different, to put it mildly. What's annoying to one person is charming to another. I watch every day that I'm home and find it generally entertaining. Mario and Michael are the only two real chefs. Carla has some expertise and Daphne is lovely and has a pleasing personality but would someone please take her under their wing and give her some advice on how to dress? Her outfit today was just plain silly.
  • 3 great Hosts always a pleasure to watch

luv todays show ,i luv watching Mario ,Micheal and Clinton. Mario's recipes are always fast ,easy ,and delicious ,Micheal's are always scrumptious and as always luv Clintons ideas
  • Maybe a great chef, but.

4.5
    Mario is a PIG. He licks his fingers and touches food. He puts his spoon in something to taste it and reuses it. What a PIG.
  • Interesting show, great ideas but won't watch because of Carla

As stated above, interesting show I stumbled upon, but will not watch for Carla. She has terrible on screen appearance and timing and is not engaging. Nice person, but detrimental to the show.
  • Clinton needs to go

2.5
    Clinton is so annoying, he is the reason I don't watch the show, and btw he is not cute, god get rid of him
  • Please Shut Down The Frauen

I know in this dirty world of pc everyone is eager to hire females, even if they hold no qualifications or talent. This dilemma applies royally to this show. Carla is a harping, loud, rude, obnoxious, attention grabbing shrew. And Daphne is clueless and a bit inept. These two females add no credibility to the show, and really don't fit in at all. It's painfully obvious. Why not hire competent, knowledgeable, composed women who actually have a background in cooking. If not, just leave the show to the men. Quite frankly, there's a reason females slam up against a glass ceiling and HERE IT IS EXEMPLIFIED ON THIS SHOW! They are overly emotional, aggressive, insecure, and just out right incompetent. I think the show would be far more appealing and worthy of viewership if you kept the men and dumped those females.
  • what a shame

What a disgrace Hispanic Heritage month and not a single Latino Chef, news flash not all latinos eat tacos
  • Me and the Chew

I love the Chew because it has all the elements to keep me watching day after day...

good food much laughter!!

Carla you add so much to the Chew with your zany personality and fun approach to life.

There is great balance between the personalities which makes this show a standout !

It is my very favorite daytime ABC program and I just love, love everybody on this show!

You all bring a lot of sunshine with your delicious recipes...

friendly interactions ....

and guest presenters. Keep laughing Carla..

I adore you!
  • Yesterday Celebration Tape

Yesterday my husband and I had the pleasure of being part of the audience of the Chew and I cannot begin to say what a positive and wonderful experience it was.

--Everyone was professional and warm. The stars of the show are definitely not the divas you would expect--freely mingling with the audience.

--Thank you Carlton for your patience--you signed everyone's cookbook and smiled when a fan monopolized you.

--Simon the Iron Chef--came up to us and was great and warm.

--Carla--I remember you from Top Chef and your genuine warmth and enthusiasm was contagious.

--Daphne no new mother should look this good.

--We were nervoud about what to wear--especially with Carlton there so we blended too mucjh to be in the group that was photographed more. Next time and believe me there will be a next time we will follow our instincts.

Thank you guys--and the cookbook , food etc was terrific.

• Yesterday taping

I have to start by saying Carla was so beautiful in person and I loved the way she inter-acted with everyone during every break. Michael thanks for the bean dip . I was one of the 3 crazy lady's sitting up top. I would also like to thank Michael and Clinton for taking photos with me . I had a great time and would come to the show as long as Clinton ,Michael and Carla where there .
  • The cast

Clinton was awesome, We love you Michael, from the 3 crazy broads up top, the bean dip was great, you can cook for us anytime. Carla you are beautiful in person, love your dancing. Mario you were quiet, now Daphne you looked miserable the whole