The Cleveland Show Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Bottom Line Problem with The Cleveland Show

qreyes123

[1]Mar 23, 2013
    • level: 1

The problem with The Cleveland Show is not that it's created and portrayed by White writers - the real issue is that writers from other races don't get the opportunity to do the same in return. They rather have Seth MacFarlane create a show with his rendition of Black characters, than to make a real Black animated show. Nothing wrong with FOX's business decision, except on the other hand, they wouldn't even think about allowing a Blackwritercreate a show with White characters. Cleveland is a Black animated character portrayed by a White guy in order to entertainpredominatelyWhite audiences. Isn't that the equivalent of modern day Blackface in cartoon form?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thundercat2000

[2]Mar 24, 2013
    • level: 17

You may an interesting point and you nailed it. But it is stilla bad show. If Cleveland had a black actor voicing and more blacks behind the scenes and not just the voice actors, it would be better. It has to go. The less of Seth, the better.

Safwhite

[3]May 12, 2013
    • level: 9
    Yea I don’t know if is as bad as the blackface cartoons, but it’s up there. I love almost everything that Seth has done, but this is just awful. Cleveland needs to get out of Virginia and back get back on spooner street where he belongs. White people just can’t do black comedy it is just awful.

clancg2003

[4]May 12, 2013
    • level: 3

No you have it wrong. The problem with Cleveland Show IS that it is white people doing a black cartoon. Since it's being done by white people, they're too afraid to do anything that might be considered racist or offensive unless it's something about white people, because if they do, they'll be called racist 24/7 by people such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and FOX doesn't want to risk that kind of attention. Now go take a look at shows that are written by black people such as The Boondocks and the PJ's. They're not afraid to do something that might be considered offensive or even borderline racist, and as such they're 1000x funnier than Cleveland has ever been. Perhaps if The Cleveland Show had a character like Uncle Ruckus who's not afraid to use the n-word or Riley who acts like a little ghetto thug (And no Rallo does not even come close to being ghetto.), then it might be slightly funnier, but of course that will never happen. As such you can just tell that the show is obviously written by white people even though the characters are black. I mean hell what's the difference between this and Family Guy? Nothing. Nothing at all. I think you get my point.

Hell I bet Cleveland Show would be too scared to even do an episode that involves a black character such as Rallo saying that he loves fried chicken, that's how inoffensive and PC this show truly is and consequently why it sucks so hard.

Edited on 05/12/2013 6:34pm

BrokenArrow1119

[5]May 14, 2013
    • level: 2
    You're right. Fox had a shot at The Boondocks but thought it wasn't good enough to be on sunday nights. Hmm. but with this post I'm gonna quote Stewie from the first episode. "Bye Bye Chocolate People"

clancg2003

[6]May 14, 2013
    • level: 3

I think it's pretty safe to say the only reason Seth Macfarlane and FOX made The Cleveland Show is to make a quick buck and try and appeal more to the black demographic. I mean hell, the second the series hit the magical syndication mark of 88, they changed its time slot and it effectively got cancelled. That's probably the main reason why I object to considering The Cleveland Show a black comedy. It's such a slap in the face to black comedians who actually worked hard to make a funny show such as Aaron McGruder or Dave Chapelle. Seth wasn't even trying with Cleveland.

BrokenArrow1119 wrote:
    You're right. Fox had a shot at The Boondocks but thought it wasn't good enough to be on sunday nights. Hmm. but with this post I'm gonna quote Stewie from the first episode. "Bye Bye Chocolate People"

Damn, I had no idea FOX passed up on The Boondocks, although I am happy that they did, a TV-14 version of the Boondocks would suck major ass. I mean could you imagine Uncle Ruckus not being able to use the n-word? And of course all those episodes making fun of BET wouldn't even get past the development stage at FOX, let alone air.

BrokenArrow1119 wrote:
    Hmm. but with this post I'm gonna quote Stewie from the first episode. "Bye Bye Chocolate People"

Haha good one . I think it's safe to say that that joke you just told is funnier than all 88 episodes of The Cleveland Show combined. Let's just hope we never have to hear about The Cleveland Show ever again after May 19th.

Edited on 05/14/2013 2:44pm

thundercat2000

[7]May 18, 2013

I say The Boondocks was more of a real black cartoon than Seth will ever try to do. He will never understand black people.

thundercat2000

[8]May 18, 2013

Also, The Cleveland Show was Family Guy in blackface. The same premise and same type of family. No differance.

thundercat2000

[9]Jun 2, 2013

clancg2003 wrote:

I think it's pretty safe to say the only reason Seth Macfarlane and FOX made The Cleveland Show is to make a quick buck and try and appeal more to the black demographic. I mean hell, the second the series hit the magical syndication mark of 88, they changed its time slot and it effectively got cancelled. That's probably the main reason why I object to considering The Cleveland Show a black comedy. It's such a slap in the face to black comedians who actually worked hard to make a funny show such as Aaron McGruder or Dave Chapelle. Seth wasn't even trying with Cleveland.

BrokenArrow1119 wrote:

Damn, I had no idea FOX passed up on The Boondocks, although I am happy that they did, a TV-14 version of the Boondocks would suck major ass. I mean could you imagine Uncle Ruckus not being able to use the n-word? And of course all those episodes making fun of BET wouldn't even get past the development stage at FOX, let alone air.

BrokenArrow1119 wrote:
    Hmm. but with this post I'm gonna quote Stewie from the first episode. "Bye Bye Chocolate People"

Haha good one . I think it's safe to say that that joke you just told is funnier than all 88 episodes of The Cleveland Show combined. Let's just hope we never have to hear about The Cleveland Show ever again after May 19th.

I never Fox passed on The Boondocks either. It wouldn't have if The Boondocks was on Fox. It works better on Adult Swim and I hope that show gets renewed.

thundercat2000

[10]Jun 5, 2013

Did Seth really think The Cleveland Show would suceed? He doesn't know a thing about African Americans. If he knew more black people and the culture better instead of resorting to stereotypes, it would have been slightly better.