The Cleveland Show

Pilot

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Sep 27, 2009 on FOX

4.6
  • Stoolbend, Virginia where Cleveland runs into his old high school crush, Donna.

"Pilot" is the first full-length episode of the Family Guy spin-off The Cleveland Show. The episode aired on September 27, 2009 on Fox Broadcasting Company. In the episode, Cleveland and Cleveland Jr. say goodbye to their friends and Quahog, Rhode Island to relocate to Cleveland's hometown in Stoolbend, VA. There, Cleveland reconnects with an old flame and finds love and a new family. Cleveland and Donna later get married, and the two families accept each other into their lives.
    The episode was written by Seth MacFarlane, Mike Henry and Richard Appel and directed by Anthony Lioi. It was viewed by approximately 9.42 million viewers in its original airing. episode was pretty strong and was very funny. "Dats What I was Telling You Before" joke was hilarious (join the group on facebook). It is also very much like family guy.
  • I don't see what everyone was complaining about.

This wasn't bad at all. Was it the greatest half hour in television history? No. Did anyone expect it to be? I thought it was good. Better than most of Family Guy last season. Maybe the best word for it was "pleasant," like Cleveland himself. It wasn't pee-your-pants funny, but it wasn't horribly offensive either, and there were some good laughs that didn't feel all that forced. None of that "Isn't so funny how unfunny we're being? That's the joke!" style of humor. Maybe it helped that my expectations were pretty low, but whatever the case, I didn't feel like I'd wasted a half-hour of my life like some Family Guy episodes made me feel.
  • One of the best pilot episodes that I have ever seen! :idea:

Coming from a hit T.V. show such as "Family Guy," it was going to be hard for Cleveland to top the work he had done in that show, but it seems that Cleveland is going to make it after all. The reason why I say this is because this pilot episode gives Cleveland personality coming out of his pores! :D In one very exciting experience, Cleveland goes from a quiet, agreeable wallflower to an emotional, determined guy who's finally ready to stop letting other people run his life and take chances to live out the dream that he has always wanted to live! Cleveland, Cleveland Jr., Donna, Roberta, Rallo, and Tim the Bear all have their unique personalities and attitudes, and none of them stick to any base stereotypes that have often riddled other African-American characters. It seems Seth Macfarlane has done something really cool even by his standards, and has created a quality prime-time series that positively focuses on African-Americans for the 1st time since "The Bill Cosby Show" got canceled in the 1990's! I loved this pilot and I hope that future episodes of this show are just as good as well! :idea: Enough said, true believers! ;)
  • Well, aren't we just the Black Brady Bunch!

A true crack-up at some points, but some moments just had you cringing.

The start was pretty slow.

-Cringe #1: LoisXBonnie Make Out session.
    --Crack-Up #1: Goodbye, chocolate people.
    That list could go on and on forever. But, what most of us have to remember is that almost ALL pilots are like that! Hit and miss! The Futurama pilot, the Family Guy pilot, the American Dad! pilot, and that list goes on and on.

One of my complaints is Cleveland Jr. suddenly being a fat, slow kid. I liked the ADHD, hyperactive kid! He was hilarious! The show would have been a freaking HIT if he was in it! I'm also not a fan of Donna, I don't see how she's hot. At all. I mean, even Cleveland could do better than that.

Either way, I'll be tuning in next week.
  • All the Nutter Butters AND Oreos gone?! DAYUM, better go watch this, and im glad i did!

First, wat is so bad about it? I thought it was great, so whats everybody else complaining, this is a real good start, and i liked how they introduced a real lot, and it didnt feel rushed! Now thats good writing! and so what, the family is like everybody else's adult cartoon, but its not a COMPLETE rip, like the fat son thing, so? and in this, Roberta is actually popular, and cute, and has a BF!Also, i like the fact that their black for once, and not white(or yellow....)so, yeah, i liked it, so people ,give it a chance!
  • I liked it

This was a good start, I know a lot of people want to bash it right from the start, but I think this pilot was only SLIGHTLY better than the American Dad pilot, and that show is really good at this point. It's funny that people are saying it's a rip off of Family Guy, yea and so is American Dad, and Family Guy is a rip off of the Simpsons and All in the Family. Yea we get it, the bumbling idiotic father with at least one daughter and one son idea has been done to death. That aside, it was pretty funny, Rollo was funny and it still had that Family Guy zing without being too outrageous. Unlike his other counterparts (Stan, Peter, Homer), Cleveland is funny not because he's a bumbling idiot, but because he's a lovable naive do-gooder. My favorite parts:

"Nutter Butters AND Oreos gone? DAYUM"
    "I fought off 6 Al Qaeda!" "It IS an elusive pencil"
    "I know ya'll aint leavin without making these beds"
    "Dats what I was sayin' before!"
    "That is a mighty fat ass!"
  • I know y'all ain't leavin' without making them beds!

I was sceptical at first-who wasn't?-but the pilot episode of The Cleveland Show, even though it has its fair share of rough spots, actually pulled off a twenty-minute episode with plenty of laughs revolving around one of Family Guy's most understated characters. Of course, we still have to warm up to a few characters, but a few that stick out immediately are Donna, Rallo and Tim The Bear (what would one of these shows be without a talking animal of some kind?) with the writers clearly setting Rallo up to be the show's wise-crackin' Stewie of the Browns. Overall, the story is just as predictable as your average Family Guy episode, but with less cutaways and some potential for great character humour, The Cleveland Show certainly has potential and I look forward to watching in the coming weeks.
  • TV.com says it all - this is like Parks and Recreation, if Family Guy were the Office....

Cleveland show in many ways will be in many ways just like Family Guy. I don't really get, why do we need a spin off. For one- Cleveland is like the most boring character ever in FG. And two- the characters and settings are pretty much the same. Instead of a talking dog, we have a talking bear. Instead of Joe and Peter, we have a gun wielding racist, and a guy who lives with his mom. There is Ralo who seems to be like Stewie, Roberta comparable to Meg, and Donna comparable to Lois.

Criticisms aside, the pilot was actually pretty funny. It did have the usual absurd references we see in Family Guy, which is good in a way. I know it will be on air for 2 seasons, however, I think it won't survive an episode after that.
  • Quit whining -- it's better than Family Guy

First of all, someone mentioned that they need to be more like the Simpsons... The Simpsons hasn't been funny since 1997. A lot of people are complaining that the show is too much like Family Guy, because it's a cartoon about a semi-stupid man and his antics with his family. I hate to break it to you, but 99 percent of sitcoms on television have had that same structure. I'm sorry the show doesn't have some mind-blowing, unique plot or structure, but its an animated sitcom.

Family guy has become stale and quite frankly, awful. Two-thirds of the show are gag jokes and there's virtually no plot or actual story worth remembering. Yes, as a spin-off, the Cleveland Show is going to have similarities to Family Guy, but the writing is pretty decent. Not every single joke is the greatest joke ever (that would be impossible) and some do suck, but that's the same with every comedy TV show EVER. The show has gotten better as they develop the characters more and more, and I think people need to stop complaining that it isn't as funny as pre-cancelation Family Guy and learn to like it for what it is. And it's still better than any live action sitcom on television and pretty much any of Adult Swim's original programming.
  • A little different then Family Guy, but unfortunately, it lost some of the funny along the way.

After watching a lot of Family Guy re-runs, I decided to give The Cleveland Show a chance. It started off okay, but as soon as Cleveland left the comfort of Quahog, the show lost its humor.

The daughter is not funny at all, Rallo only has occasionally funny lines and Cleveland Jr. talks slow, weird and with no humor whatsoever. And the bear is just a weird addition to the show.. why can't Seth McFarlene shows just have no weird animals/aliens in them? Brian is funny and Tim had one funny line ("May the peace of Jesus Christ be with you.".. made me laugh for some reason) but for some reason, it just seems weird that he relies on the same character personalities for every show.

There's now way this show is going to be as good as Family Guy. It's just so disappointing to see that. And I actually don't even think the show idea was good in the first place. I'd rather watch Quagmire and his sexual exploits as a show than Cleveland.
  • I just plain sucked!

I just plain sucked! boooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo oooo ooo ooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo oooo ooo ooo oooo boooooooo boooo oooooooooo oooooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo oooo ooo ooo oooo booooooooo oooooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo oooo ooo ooo oooo booooooooo oooooo ooooo oooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooooo oooo ooooo oooo oooo oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo oooooo ooooo oooo oooo ooo ooo oooo boooo
  • Less Family Guy without creating a decente show. A loose-loose situation.

Very bad idea. To take one of the best characters of Family Guy to make a spinoff, weakenning the original show without producing a decent offspring. Sad.
    Cancel this show and move Cleveland back to Quaghog, where he is needed.
    Seth MacFalane had the power to create a new show without diminishing the original one, but he decided to amputate of the the legs os his original "cow", and now he has a bad barbecue and a three-legged cow. Family guy lost a lot of punch whith Cleveland leaving the show. He might kill his original creation without having a new hit to replace it. Think it over, guys.
  • I think it was a decent start off to the new series

I think it can work to being a good tv series, and people who hate this, why do you watch it then?
    I reckon it is decent start off just needs time to develop. I like the whole storylines of how Peter ruined the house, then Loretta gets the house and drives Cleveland out of his home, and also the whole thing seems really cool. I like how the creators thought of this show. I think the Pilot episode was a decent kick off to the new series just needs time to become solid as i have said. And in the future it could become the family guy we have right now, who knows about Family Guy that show gone all downhill since it's return in 05. I like also how they are gonna get celebrities to play roles in the Cleveland Show too.
  • A kick in the balls, and the end of an era?

So, after i watched the pilot, all i could say was, wow, this is bad it's not even funny. The lineup is the same as in family guy, but the phasing is just off, not to mention Clevelands character.

The show is not original at all, and i for one did not like the fact that they taking away Cleveland from family guy, he is an OK background character that can make some odd jokes from time to time, but is he fit to be the character for his own show, i can't say he is, i felt so bored that i did not finish watching the episode.

Basically, it's family guy with black people and boring humor, i guess the die hard family guy fans might find it fun to watch, but i thought it was just a huge waste of time, both mine and the creators.
  • A bad start for a FG spinoff

Cleveland Brown and Cleveland Jr. leave Quahog and take to the road. On their way to California, they stop in Cleveland's hometown of Stoolbend, VA, where he reunites with his old high school crush, Donna Tubbs. Cleveland, still in love with Donna, is determined to start a new life with her, even if Donna's kids aren't exactly angels.I thought this was a bad start for an alright Family Guy spinoff called The Cleveland Show. While the show isn't that bad itself as most people are saying, I do agree that this pilot was bad. I didn't laugh very much in this pilot. The characters that gave me laughs were Peter (he was making that another bathtub gag again) and Tim. Also, I don't think Rallo was funny in this one. He was okay. Overall this pilot of The Cleveland Show was bad. Season 1 wasn't was a good season at all.- 3/10
  • Cleveland and his son Cleveland Jr. leave Quahog to go to California. On the way they drive through his old hometown and he strikes up a relationship with an old flame. In the end he stays in Stoolbend, Va to be with her and her kids.

I really wanted to like this show. I enjoy Family Guy and was interested to see how this was going to be. It's not horrible, but in a way it is trying to hard to be another Family Guy. The characters just don't match up though. If you remember Family Guy was canceled at one point and revived. It took a little time to like all of the characters. I'm just not sure some of these characters that are his neighbors are that likable. Were you have Joe, Quagmire, and Cleveland on Family Guy, here you have a bear, a redneck, and some non-descriptive neighbor guy. You are also missing the Brian character as well. I like the little boy, his sister, and the Mom though. Maybe it's not fair to judge this based on Family Guy but the comparison is going to be made. Let's face it, Family Guy is not funny some time and this was not very funny at all. A little humorous in spots, but that's about it. Thanks for reading...
  • A terrible start to the series.

This episode was horrible. It was really boring, and painful to watch. The start was mildly entertaining, but after Cleveland left for California , the episode went downhill from there. There were no jokes that I laughed at, and the plot, characters, even the jokes were unoriginal. Rekindling an old high school flame has been done before, and characters are too similar to the ones in Family Guy. They even changed Cleveland Jr.'s character from a young hyperactive kid, to an overweight, slovenly teenager like Chris. The characters are not funny at all, not even the bear. I was just really bored and disappointed throughout the entire episode. Even though I had low expectations of the show from the start, I wanted more out of this episode. I'll watch some more episodes this season, but if they're just relapses of the pilot, I might stop watching the series for good.
  • It wasn't really funny.

Since I had heard that the Cleveland show was going to be made I was saying that this show was going to bomb. I may have been right but not for the right reasons. This show or at least this episode was not funny. It seemed that all of the jokes just missed. To me it seemed that this show/episode was not a comedy, not a drama, not a action, not anything. This show could be good if they came up with original idea's and quickly drop the family guy style jokes. They are pointless and hinder the show further.
  • this show, is one of the worst shows ever to hit television in history. The cleveland show went really low after the past few episodes and even the creator of this show is starting to hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this show, is one of the worst shows ever to hit television in history. The cleveland show went really low after the past few episodes and even the creator of this show is starting to hate it. I always see these shows to see if it would get better but that will just never happen will it. this show needs, to be more like "the simpsons" because the simpsons is the best show out of all and the creators of the cleveland show need to create a good episode like the simpsons. and i definately know that this show will be cancelled faster than Garfield trying to get lasagna!
  • The Beginning To A 'Family Guy' spin-off. 'The Cleveland Show' SUCKED!

Personally, I was kinda bored with this whole episode. There was LITERALLY no laugh out loud moments except when Lois and Bonnie made out. & even that wasn't that funny. What the hell was Seth MacFarlane thinking? Cleveland was the least funniest of all the characters. If anyone deserved a spin-off, it would HAVE to either Joe or Quagmire or Herbert the Pervert. They were ten times funnier than Cleveland ever was. Throughout the whole episode no funny joked were made. If it continues like this it will fail after 10 episodes. Cleveland will also have to start making jokes instead of just milking off the funny ,moments of other characters
  • So this is King of the Hill's replacement...

I have a feeling this won't last very long. It's Family Guy with less funny characters. Cleveland belongs with Peter, Joe, and Quagmire. They give him a show because he's less valuable to the show in some ways, plus his personal life has more of a story, with the ex-wife and son. I laughed at the flashbacks because they reminded me of Family Guy, but I found many of the characters to just be ridiculous. The kids were nothing compared to the ones on Family Guy and the characters lacked humor. I thought the bear was kind of funny, and Cleveland's rant about being back at 10 was quite amusing, and so were his last moments in Quahog, but this is just gonna mess up Family Guy, and I don't know how far this can go. I'll just continue to watch since it's sandwiched between The Simpsons and Family Guy.
  • Excruciating... It almost made me want to give up completely on Family Guy and Seth McFarlane... (But then I watched the new Family Guy)

I was not a fan of what should have been a laugh-out-loud series premiere. After watching it, I began to wonder if maybe it was a joke to all of the Family Guy fans from Seth McFarlane, because Cleveland hasn't been getting a whole lot of screen time. There were a few gags that did get a bit of a laugh out of me, but not enough to make me enjoy it. I mean I laughed more at David Caruso in CSI: Miami than I did at this show. I FOX decides to let this go for a full season, the writers had better figure out what they're going to do to keep our attention, otherwise, Cleveland is going to be making a reluctant trip back to Quahog so he can keep his job in these hard times.
  • A terrible start to the new Family guy spinoff, normally family guy will have me folding over sideways laughing at least a few times each episode but the cleveland show really did nothing for me.

A terrible start to the new Family guy spinoff, normally family guy will have me folding over sideways laughing at least a few times each episode but the cleveland show really did nothing for me. Cleveland is an allright side character in family guy since he balances the fun characters with a more boring and solemn side, his whole thing being that he doesn't show much emotion in comparison to the other characters. Sounds to me like a bland show and i was hoping that some kind of side characters would make the show entertaining. But seriously.. a bear? cmon.. this isn't disney.
  • this is what weve been waiting almost a year for? wow we must be idiots

WOW, after watching this premiere that was suppose to air in march but was prolonged so it could have a longer season, i was very confused as to why i was so stupid as to thinking a second rate character that is barely ever funny on his main show could actually have a funny spinoff. this is bassically family guy but very wrong opposites. theres still 5 family members, including a wise cracking black child (stewie) an overwieght black son(chris) and a dorky black daughter(meg) and whats this? cleveland has 3 friends also, just like family guy. the biggest problem with this scenario is.....no character is funny at all, its just awkward instead of funny. no originality, no comedy, no sight of changing. sadly this show is going to be on atleast for 2 season before it can get cancelled because of stupid fox thinking this was going to be a GREAT show. i never thought id say this, but comedy genius seth mcfarlane finnally got to greedy and made himself a shameful bomb.
  • A pretty lame start to 'The Cleveland Show'.

5.5
    I like the concept of a spin-off from the brilliant Family Guy, but this is not what I had in mind. Cleveland is so boring, I can't listen to his voice any longer!

The character of Tim is more interesting than Brian though, at least in my opinion. That is as far the improvements get, I'm afraid.

The episode was quite boring, it just introduced us to Cleveland's new, boring family, and we met most of the characters.

I thought the storyline was weak, and I thought the episode was quite boring. Having said that, there were probably two funny moments, both involving Tim the Bear.

I will continue to watch this show, but after Episode #1, I'm not impressed.
MNT