The Closer

Aftertaste

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 03, 2006 on TNT

• You send the big basket of flowers, you just _know_ someone's gonna read the card. Happy 40th, Brenda. Your crime scene is ready. :D

Brenda's arrival on the crime scene is verr' arch. "Brenda Leigh Johnson, party of one." And Gabriel's response that "Your crime scene is ready if you would step right this way" seems a little bit over the top, but it illustrates nicely the rapport they've fallen into.

The big plus this episode was their giving Det. Daniels some scope. We know -- because it's been told to us -- that not just [i]any[/i]body gets into the PHD. It's a position people aspire to and work for. So it seemed strange to me that for so long the one other woman in the room has been such a low-key contributor to the work.

I mean, police work isn't the easiest vocation in the world, and certainly not for the women who take it on. And to be part of the PHD, Daniels would've had to be extra tough and extra dedicated (unless we are to believe she was fast-tracked for racial and gender quotas, which up until now has seemed rational).

But if Gabriel singled her out as a love interest, even in passing, I'm thinking she's got more substance than that. Daniels certainly has her charms, but Gabriel is young and ambitious and has risen quickly through the force. He wouldn't want to put a lot of emphasis on those suspicions, if they existed, which certainly they must have among some. He'd choose what star he hitched his wagon to very carefully, so I'm thinking there's some status to Daniels beyond her race and gender.

And tonight she got to demonstrate a bit. Actual contributions to the case. A little rapport with Brenda, even. I'm really happy about this, because it bears out what I've suspected about this season -- we're going to learn a little bit more about the team.

Now, all that being said, we still don't know a lot [i]about[/i] her. Who is she? What's her background? What's her specialty, even? I'm admit my curiosity. We have so much insight into who Brenda is, and I really want to share her regard for her team.

At least two seasons in I'm getting a handle on all of their names. Last season when assistant D.A. Powell came in I thought she [i]was[/i] Daniels at first (because be fair, up to that point, she really hadn't been on screen all that often, and I hadn't really even caught Daniels' [i]name[/i]).

This was complicated, mostly because Brenda forgot the first rule -- suspend your prejudices. She might have made more progress faster if she hadn't been focusing like a laser on Dutton -- and a stray glance or two at the husband.

Not that the reviewer was obvious by any stretch.

And I [i]loved[/i] LaSalle. He was my absolute favorite character by John Cleese -- the haughty French narcissist. His observations on the victim's affair with him were hilarious and delivered perfectly. Also, his exchange with Brenda almost transferred his outrageous accent to her in one line, where he said yes, the knives were his, but he didn't use them. Her retort -- "Well, why did you [i]buy[/i] zem?" -- was just a scream, and it flew by too quickly.

There was a lot of funny in this one, and I'm enjoying how so little of it was actually at Brenda's expense (Flynn's slighting characterization of her as a "bossy, micromanaging b----, but he respected her even though she was stingy on the compliments -- you know the type, Chief" to the notable exception, and at least it was to her face). The group mostly sympathizes with her turning 40, rather than hooting about it, and it demonstrated the level of affection they're starting to feel for her.

As for the "sommy-liar"/"[i]sommelier[/i]" bit between Provenza and Flynn, those guys have such great chemistry. And I liked Det. Sanchez' input into the case as well.

Did Lt. Tao honestly not appear in this episode? I'm wracking my brain here -- usually he's all over her like a big toadie and she has in the past tended to rely upon him for a lot. I guess if more screen time goes to Daniels, others fade a bit. Last week was Sanchez' big front-and-center production, and this week was Daniels'.

I felt bad for Paul being locked up, but that temper is gonna get him into trouble. As Sanchez said, he needs a keeper, and his keeper is dead.

And I loved the resolve. I guessed when she was going after Dutton's alibi that she was zeroing in on Billingsley (G-d I love that man. In every appearance he makes, he completely owns his role, and all of them -- Dr. Phlox on "Enterprise," the witness in "The Practice," the werewolf guy on "Angel," Ben White on "Nip/Tuck" and this one -- are a little bit different).

Quick bit of trivia: I caught an episode of "Quantum Leap" in which Kyra was playing a deaf dancer back in the mid-80s. With her appearance with Billingsley, that's at least two "Enterprise" actors she's worked with.

Certainly it's a coincidence, but an interesting one all the same. :)

But the [i]way[/i] she tracked in on the reviewer was cool. Tracking down the receipts for ostrich meat, presenting it so elegantly, after confronting Dutton and Paul, getting him to break down the way she did -- that was just some really cool storytelling.

And I loved this: "Has Chef Paul done anything incriminating like walkin' around Hollywood wavin' a knife in the air saying 'Hey there! I killed my wife! Who wants to be next?'"

Fun, fun stuff. :D

I wonder what Pope got her for her birthday?

I wonder if that guy's ever gonna give up?

It'd be fun to see a big confrontation between him and Fritz -- whose application for sainthood ought to be on the fast track, dating this woman with her impossible schedule -- but it also seems more than a little short-sighted on Pope's part if it [i]does[/i] happen.

She is -- quite appropriately -- in love.

Now ...

... bring on the domestic squabbling. :D

Such a good show, and such great character development happening. :D