The Closer

Blue Blood

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jun 12, 2006 on TNT

• ‘The Closer' is back and better then ever. This episode did a good job of mixing Brenda's humorous personnel struggles with the heaviness of her case. And Brenda once again came out on top.

Capt. Leahy: Ma'am, I want you to note that you're using your investigation to smear Tim Martin's reputation, and in this department, that's just not the way we play ball.

Brenda: Well captain, if you don't like the way I'm doing things here, you're free to take your balls and go straight home.

Brenda showed major guts today, standing up to all of the LAPD. The case this week was a little bit hard to follow, with so many names being thrown out. But by the end of the episode, everything got cleared up in time for a plot twist as usual.

The writers once again threw us off track on the case. All signs pointed to Detective Xavier and yet it turned out to be Hubbard, the one we had just began sympathizing with. The whole plot with Hubbard and his son was very well written. One of the reasons I love this show is that none of the characters are just plain black or white. Hubbard committed murder and yet he was doing it because of his love for his son. Very realistic of life, not everyone is just good or evil.

Brenda's uneasiness with Fritz, and deciding whether to let him move in with her or not, contrasted with her professional life. Brenda's excuses, such as he could never answer the phone (it might be her mother calling), were pretty lame and I'm glad in the end she decided for it. Can I tell you how much I love though, that such a hard ass police officer like Brenda is afraid to let her mother find out she has a man living with her. The fact that Brenda is still scared of her mother is too funny, and I think the writers have done a good job at balancing the comedy and the drama in this premiere.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Brenda has now outlawed sweets in the office, much to the other officer's protests. It looks like she's trying to stick to her new diet. Let's see how long that lasts.

- Detective Flynn provided some more double entendres and I loved that it took Brenda a few seconds to get them.

(Regarding the sweets ban)

Flynn: "Well, can I eat nuts in here?"

Brenda: "Are your nuts sweet?"

Flynn: "No… their salty."

Brenda: "Well then that answers your question."

The devious smile on Flynn's face, when Brenda finally understood his implication, was priceless.

- Looks like a new love triangle is forming between Pope, Brenda, and Fritz.

Final Rating: 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com