The Closer

Critical Missing

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 31, 2006 on TNT

• Paul: "Do I really seem like such a monster to you?" Brenda: "You look human enough."

Paul Andres was a tough character to read. His naturalistic performance made him look very innocent. He was calm and relaxed when he was being interrogated, and he appeared shocked when he found his wife and daughter were murdered. In fact, his face seemed to beam whenever he spoke about his daughter, that I just had such a hard time believing he could kill her. James Frain did an excellent job with the character, and he probably deserves a whole review just about his performance.

We got a long drawn out interrogation today, something we haven’t seen before. I really liked how during the interrogation Brenda was able to subtly drop hints to her team on what she wanted then to check out.

Kyra Segwick did an excellent job during the interrogation at displaying Brenda's uneasiness on whether to continue grilling Paul. What if he really was innocent? Did she really want to make Paul discuss his tragic past when he just found out his wife and daughter were murdered? I even found myself doubting Brenda (I know, shame on me), because like Lt Tao said: she usually gets a confession faster. Brenda really struggled with this case, and it was nice to see a confession not come so nice and easy to her.

This was a strong episode, but fairly different then past ones. We never got a motive for Paul's actions, which I'm sure is realistic of life, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. What we do know though is that Paul was a pathological liar and a murderer, and I guess the knowledge that he deserved to go to jail will have to be enough to keep me content.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Brenda seems to be getting more emotional with each case. Could her job finally be getting to her?

- I sensed tension between Brenda and Pope today. Brenda: (to Pope) "Don't tell me how to run this case." I wonder how things will work out between them.

- I loved Brenda finally giving in to her sugar cravings and practically eating out the sides of the ice cream box.

- Paul: "I remember someone told me…that if you were locked in a library of the world's miseries you would be lead almost inexorably to choose your own, because it's the pain you're most familiar with."

- Brenda: "Well I think if nothing else it's fair to say that Paul Andrews has a type. Either that or the girl he fell in love with keeps rising from the dead."

- Paul's girlfriend seemed was a likely suspect, especially with her strong "It's my house now" statements. How did Brenda know it was Paul so early on? I guess it was just a gut feeling.

Final Rating: I really liked this one, but was it a four? I'm not sure what to rate this episode as.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: