The Closer Forums

TNT (ended 2012)

So as TNT asked during the Silent Partner episode ---- PLUS will Captain Raydor

bmoshier

[1]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 46

During tonight's episode - Silent Partner - TNT asked asked us to consider who is the leak in the department. They did this while Detective Julio Sanchez advised Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson to do this investigation on her own instead of trusting her team. I really like how he equated her situation to J-Rock pulling the car over and trusting his fellow gang members.

So, who do you think is the leak? I really wanted to make a poll, but couldn't figure out how to have more than 5 possible answers. My hope was to have one answer for each possible member of the cast.

So, I guess, we'll have to do it by hand and unless there are too many people responding it should be easy to count them up by hand.

Question: Who is the leak in the Major Crimes Division?

Answers:

-- Commander Russell Taylor
    -- Detective Sgt. David Gabriel
    -- Buzz Watson
    -- Lt. Michael Tao
    -- Detective Lt. Louis Provenza
    -- Police Chief Will Pope

-- The writers have yet to pick the person
    -- None of the above

and of course the surprise person would be: -- Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson

The only ones I suspect are not on the list are:

FBI Special Agent Fritz Howard
    Capt. Sharon Raydor

Personally, I don't know / am not sure. I'll admit I did create the list based upon the order I think of them as being most likely. I'm torn in the order of Tao and Provenza. Sometimes I want Provenza ahead of Tao and other times after Tao.

QUESTION: Has anyone heard who is NOT coming back for the sequel - Major Crimes? Maybe that would give us an idea of the leak's name, as you'd expect Captain Raydor wouldn't allow them to stay on in her division. BTW, second question:

Will Captain Raydor be Commander Raydor in the new Major Crimes series or will she stay a Captain?
    Will Captain Raydor be Deputy Police Chief Raydor in the new Major Crimes series or will she stay a Captain (or be a Commander)?

So, let us know your opinion, please, and why!

Edited on 12/26/2011 9:10pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jemadari

[2]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 12

Finally a finale that didn't make me go "meh",this was just good stuff beginning to end

Though it seems way too obvious i'm gonna go with Gabriel based on the fact that Gold knew the details of the conversation in the car after the dropped Baylor off and it was just the three of them

bmoshier

[3]Dec 26, 2011

Jemadari wrote:

Finally a finale that didn't make me go "meh",this was just good stuff beginning to end

Though it seems way too obvious i'm gonna go with Gabriel based on the fact that Gold knew the details of the conversation in the car after the dropped Baylor off and it was just the three of them

Gabriel was my first choice until Goldman found out about Raydor taking / considering the job at the LA Coliseum. It was then I started considering the Commander, who never did like Brenda. It wouldn't surprise me that it was Gabriel.

Update: I no longer believe it will be Gabriel -- as it looks like he'll go to work for the FBI / Homeland security during the July 23, 2012 episode, but . . . you never know.

Edited on 07/17/2012 8:35pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Morlunnis

[4]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 10
    Flynn and Sanchez were not on the list? I don't think they could be the leak, but glad that they aren't.

I can't think it's Tao, Provenza or Buzz. They are too loyal for that.

Taylor is too obvious, he's the outsider, he's the one that always gets screwed and made fun of, and if he isn't the leak, then he's definitely a better colleague than they deserve after the stuff they pull on him. But still, if he reveal him as the leak, it will be the one we always expected.

Pope... he has too much to lose. If the lawsuit was successful, then his career would tank. Besides, he stayed in office because Brenda asked him to. I don't think he'd do that to her.

Gabriel is the one we don't want to believe that did it. He's loyal, but he also has a strong personal sense of morality. Some of the stuff that was done he definitely had issues with.

Whoever it is, he's definitely a grade-A bastard. Not for leaking if he feels crimes were committed, but for staying there and working side-by-side with everyone like if it was nothing.

Again, the obvious, the only two solutions that are not out-of-character, are Taylor (for revenge and self-interest) and Gabriel (for regret and ethics). Let's see what they come up with.

kyomoi

[5]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 13

I'd like to think that the leak is more of a "loose lips" situation than someone on the team actually wanting to sabotage Brenda. There is that old saying "Loose lips sink ships" and I hope that's the case here.

I think it's already been established that Taylor is a huge gossip. When Raydor commented in his presence that she had another job offer, he blabbered it around the whole office (and then of course anyone in the office could have spread the gossip on to Goldman), but it also leaves open the possibility that Taylor blabbered the gossip outside the office, say at the local cop bar or some other place where there were listeners without loyalty to the team or department.

And as was pointed out by a previous poster, Gabriel has high ethical standards. Could he have discussed his concerns with an outside mentor, who in turn passed information to Goldman without Gabriel's knowledge? And I do think that if such were the case, Gabriel would be horrified, feeling both shamed to be the source of the leak and betrayed by someone he trusted. Being an ethical man, Gabriel would probably quit the department. I think it has been announced that the actor will not be reprising his role on the new "Major Crimes" spin-off, although I think the other actors have all signed on.

I suppose it's the Pollyanna in me that doesn't want to believe that the leak was due to a conscious act against Brenda by someone on her own team. I'd rather believe (at least until the finale plays out) that it was some convoluted twist of loose-lipped chatter that has caused all this pain.

angeland8

[6]Dec 27, 2011
    I'm starting to think that the leak is Provenza.
    But only because we had too many close-ups of him

bmoshier

[7]Dec 27, 2011

Morlunnis wrote:
    Flynn and Sanchez were not on the list?

That's my mistake ... It was late and forgot them. My goal was to include her entire team even those I don't think it should be ... I guess I got flustered when I realized TV.com wouldn't let me create poll with enough choices to cover all the characters in a series.

Actually, this is something they should fix in the redesign! The number of answer should be long enough to cover all the characters! After all what about poll questions like: Who Shot JR? Who is the leak in "The Closer" ... those beg for a list of the characters and hence the number of available answers should be long enough for the characters in a drama series -- at least.

bmoshier

[8]Dec 27, 2011

angeland8 wrote:
    I'm starting to think that the leak is Provenza. But only because we had too many close-ups of him

YEAH! That also crossed my mind during the episode!

BUT now after reading these replies I'm starting to think we're think INSIDE THE BOX. What if it isn't someone we've seen yet or even something in the building?

FACT: Brenda used the leak to get Goldman to come in on his own, by having everyone watch her interview. I'm wondering if she or Raydor had those team members followed, it would be what I'd try ....

So, now I'm back to thinking team ... but ... if it is because of a bug or say a design flaw in the building that allows someone to hear what went on ... well, that would explain it, too. A final jab at the building .... LOL

I doubt the writers are going to go that direction, as it might not be "fair" or too much jumping the shark, etc.

But, what do you think of the building or a yet introduced character ....

Stitllams

[9]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 6
    They have implied on several occasions that the leak is an actual person who is on the Major Crimes team, I am of the opinion it is most probably Gabriel as he had the 'means, motive and opportunity', plus they made it pretty obvious he had a huge problem with letting Tyrell out of the car when they were dropping him off.

haldrey

[10]Dec 29, 2011
    • level: 22
    Think about this, the only one that would be a real surprise is Brenda husband, Fritz. I an not in favor of him being the leak but it would really be a big surprise.

Morlunnis

[11]Dec 29, 2011
    The thing is, it can't be out-of-character. We know these characters for 7 years. We know that it isn't in some of them to do this. It wouldn't be a "real surprise," it'd be a completely inconsistent moment.

The leak can't be Fritz, Flynn, Provenza, Buzz, Sanchez or Raydor. It is not in them. We don't know Tao enough, but I doubt it.

Frankly, the only 3 people who have it in them are Pope, Taylor and Gabriel. The first two out of self-interest and the latter out of conscience. And even Pope I think cares about Brenda too much to do this.

BabyKitten199

[12]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 7

You guys have all put forth some great theories! My gut feeling was Pope because at the end of this episode, he wanted Brenda to just suck it up & sign the paperwork without even reading it & he had no issue with the special order "Johnson Rule." But Gabriel is a strong possibility 'cuz he's always had a holier than thou attitude & acts like he's better than the rest of them (despite having totally flipped out when that child molester murdered that little black girl). I can totally see him saying something to clear his conscience even though Brenda really did nothing wrong. Live by the sword, die by the sword - that's what happens when you run in a gang. Brenda shouldn't feel one iota of sorrow that a POS like turrell baylor was killed by fellow gangbangers after dropping him off in his 'hood but I can see a wimp like Gabriel feeling bad & narcing about it.

Genzie

[15]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 12
    My best guess would be Provenza. No offense to him, but he always gets himself in the most crazy situations. He may have...by accident...talked to much to someone. That's what I think. I don't even think it's on purpose ( if it's him ) and that he'll be forgiven ( thereby can appear in the spin-off ). Him doing it on purpose would be out of character. He's to loyal.

Second guess would be Tao since we know so little about him. It may be a shock.

But the most obvious choices are either Gabriel or Taylor. But those choices would be TO obvious.

diane_seattle

[16]Jul 2, 2012
    • level: 1
    it IS fritz, & that doesn't make him a
    bastard; that makes him a concerned
    husband who wants to ease brenda
    out of the LAPD before she's killed, which she's come so close to so many times.

also, think about it people... fritz is the
    ONLY one who knows EVERYTHING
    brenda knows. all the other guesses
    fail to notice the number of elements
    other characters are not told or do not
    witness. only fritz knows it all.

diane

bmoshier

[17]Jul 17, 2012

angeland8 wrote:
    I'm starting to think that the leak is Provenza. But only because we had too many close-ups of him

I might see it being Provenza, except for the fact he's in the spin-off series (Major Crimes). I doubt Raydor would have the leak working in her department.