The Closer Forums

TNT (ended 2012)

The Leak - who do you think?

swschow

[1]Sep 6, 2011
    • level: 4

I personally think the leak is someone who we least suspect and once revealed will be the straw that breaks the camels back (the cause for Brenda wanting to leave)...Captain Raydor. Whether the leak came from anger and jealousy toward Brenda or was an accidental leak, she hinted that it might be one of Brenda's people to try to keep Brenda from knowing it was her. Once Brenda finds out and decides to leave, she will not tell everyone about who the leak was though. Because Raydor will be the main cast member for "Major Crimes", I believe that it was an accidental leak.

Edited on 09/06/2011 3:30pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lynna12000

[2]Sep 6, 2011
    • level: 21
    swschow wrote:

I personally think the leak is someone who we least suspect and once revealed will be the straw that breaks the camels back (the cause for Brenda wanting to leave)...Captain Raydor. Whether the leak came from anger and jealousy toward Brenda or was an accidental leak, she hinted that it might be one of Brenda's people to try to keep Brenda from knowing it was her. Once Brenda finds out and decides to leave, she will not tell everyone about who the leak was though. Because Raydor will be the main cast member for "Major Crimes", I believe that it was an accidental leak.

I think Gavin Baker was telling the truth. What one knows, they all know. Odds are, someone may have over-heard a discussion among the team members. But wouldn't constitute a 'leak'. A leak is the deliberate release of information.

ninhatotal

[3]Sep 6, 2011
    • level: 7

swschow wrote:

After watching the last episode and seeing a Chief Pope so eager to settle things as quickly as possible, I think Pope is the leak. He already made it clear that he would do anything to protect LAPD, so we have to assume he would even burn one of their own. And THAT would really be the reason for Brenda to leave, as she wouldn't be able to handle such a betrayal from her best friend, making working with him unbearable.

kanniballl

[4]Sep 12, 2011
    • level: 18

Pope is high up on my list, since his current position isn't set-in-stone and technically Brenda was the Mayor's first-pick for the job. He wants to keep it.

But it's almost too obvious. I agree with others that it's going to be someone we don't suspect: perhaps intentionally, perhaps otherwise.

Provenza is possible, he's just so popular and is honestly an ally to Brenda. Which makes it a good psych-out.

But I think the bit with the lawyer was a red herring. Maybe he honestly didn't feel like it was any of the lawyer's business, maybe he spoke to a priest, etc.

I'm really wondering on what they / we find out.

ram222

[5]Sep 13, 2011
    • level: 1

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe the source of the leak is Fritz? He knows about all the questionable stuff Brenda has done over the years. He has indicated several times that he thinks Brenda is exposed to too much danger in her position. (Have you noticed lately that Brenda has come VERY close to getting blown away in several episodes now during the last two seasons?) Fritz said one of the reasons he wanted Brenda to become chief was it was a much less dangerous job. Maybe he thinks since Brenda has manipulated so many situations involving him that he can get away with being on the "other end" of the manipulation this time. Maybe when Brenda finds out she will be so heartbroken and feel so betrayed that she will have to pick up yet again and move away, as she did with Pope. I thought it was Pope for awhile, too, but you (collectively) are right - it's too easy. They've given too many hints in that direction.

kanniballl

[6]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 18

ram222 wrote:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe the source of the leak is Fritz?

Fritz occured to me but too many things didn't add up.

Is it possible he accidentally leaked stuff? Sure. And if it's him then it's the only circumstance I'd buy that didn't involve a major character assassination.

He's a smart FBI agent... unless he finally fell off the wagon he would know that telling anyone anything about that might lead to criminal matters or a civil suit. There's no way that leaking anything like that would just get Brenda to quit or whatever without major consequences for her and/or him.

It's overkill: like calling in a fake Anthrax Threat against a court-house to avoid jury duty, using a public phone near an ATM. The risk far outweighs the reward considering it would be a federal offense.

Even if you were to believe that he was angry at Brenda and wanted to hurt her... he would know the situation would boomerang back to him.

- Being married to Brenda would mean a Civil Suit would hurt him financially too. They wouldn't just take her money and garnish her wages, they'd take his money too (and perhaps the house).

- And a criminal case would hurt his reputation at the FBI: being married to a corrupt high-ranking official. The disgrace, the inquiry if he participated in any shady dealings while being the liaison, etc.

swschow

[7]Sep 14, 2011

Someone else that Brenda confides in that might be the leak...What is her new cat's name.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

KasiaLichota

[8]Sep 15, 2011
    • level: 6

Maybe someone planted a listening device inside the office or someone is a leak. Hard to tell. But, someone somehow had to inform that Goldman character about other cases and someone else seems to have a personal vendetta against Brenda. Pope screwed her up many times so far - like during his divorce, he's always trying to make himself look good. And now, when there's a job he always wanted free he'll do anything to get it. Flynn never liked her in a first place since she joined the unit and was always plotting against her with Commander Taylor. Provenza is cheeky, but not dangerous and would have no interest in hurting her. Gabriel, Tao and Buzz were always there for her. And it's in Raydor's interest to keep away law suits against LAPD - it's her job. And there's a good old Detective Sanchez, who gets carried away but has a good hart. I think in process of elimination we're left with Pope, Flynn and Taylor. I think, in the end the person will be revealed.

ram222

[9]Sep 15, 2011
    Nobody would be able to prove where the leaks to Goldman came from if Fritz (or whoever the leak turns out to be) leaked the info verbally. Fritz doesn't have to admit it unless Brenda found out he was the source and filed a law suit, which she likely wouldn't do. Goldman isn't gonna tell (unless Brenda sued). And remember, Fritz insisted on paying Brenda's attorney with his own money without her knowing about it (maybe a little guilt there?) The more I think about it, the more it adds up. He is desperate for her to quit, and he knows she would never step down unless she were forced to step down.

sshan39

[10]Sep 16, 2011
    I am starting to think its taylor. giving Goldman all those cases who wants brenda gone more?

cellista8

[11]Jan 11, 2012

There is a list of likely suspects for the leak in Major Crimes. Most likely it will be someone we don't suspect; Taylor and Pope seem to be too obvious, although both would make sense.

Based on who is going to have to carry the show as it goes forward, I think we have to consider that anyone who is the "leak" against Brenda will not get much audience support. While Brenda "allowed" criminals to get the consequences she thought they deserved, it was usually because the justice system was not going to punish a particularly evil murderer, so there is some sympathy with her tactics among the audience.

So, if we look at who is going to be on the new spin off, and who is not going to be on the show, we have to also consider Gabriel . He did not agree with Brenda's decision in the Baylor situation. Even in the last episode, he was questioning Brenda's actions. He and Taylor looked very suspicious in the last episode, while Provenza and Julio appeared to be working together to protect Brenda.

I certainly hope that the network does NOT have Fritz be the source, as it would be a very tragic ending for long time viewers!

We will certainly miss Brenda/Kyra , and the show as it is after the end of the series!

Oenc

[12]Jan 30, 2012
    I've been thinking its Pope. He is the top of the list. He has the longest relationship with Brenda and he has the most to gain.

I think Taylor and Gabriel are obvious choices and so is any one in her team. They want us to look there and not at the outside players.

Fritz crossed my mind briefly but I don't think the writers will do that to us. There's too much built there. Unlike Pope. Some of the other posters had good points as to why he is the top of our lists.

But everyone is soooo obvious! The writers are really playing with us now.

angeland8

[13]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 10
    I've just watched a TNT promo which includes Major crimes - as in new show 'Major Crimes', not just the name of the division. You can find it on youtube.

So I saw Provenza, Flinn, and Sanchez. I might have seen Tao, but I'm not sure. But there was no sign of Gabriel. I hope he is not the leak. I know this promo doesn't really prove anything, but still.

swschow

[14]Mar 20, 2012

I am thinking it is Pope, via Buzz. I just looked up "Major Crimes" on Wikipedia and Pope is not listed as coming back. I think what happened was Pope was checking up on Brenda and her techniques and he had a bug planted in the car (probably months before) when the whole thing went down with leaving the guy to be killed. I think Buzz has his suspicions about who the leak is and he will be the one who ends up spilling the beans to Brenda about it possibly being Pope and why.

Edited on 03/20/2012 1:52pm

JodieWilde

[15]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 5
    yeah Gabriel isn't on the cast list for Major Crimes so I'm thinking it must be him. Or someone completely random not even in the team

swschow

[16]Apr 10, 2012

You have a good point. I actually think Gabriel will go FBI. He looks FBI to me.

bmoshier

[17]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 46

OK, I suspect the leak is NOT one of the people moving over to the new series. Why? I doubt Captain Raydor would want the leak working for her.

We can also eliminate Brenda. As for Detective Sgt. David Gabriel, it might be him -- discovered after he takes his new job (or whatever occurs to him), but I doubt it.

So, who is left after we eliminate the characters moving over, Brenda, Gabriel,

Regular / Full time characters/actors moving from "The Closer" to "Major Crimes"

Recurring cast for "Major Crimes" who are also from "The Closer" series.nbsp;

OK, I notice Acting Chief Pope is NOT one of the listed characters from what I read, but again I doubt he's the leak, as it just doesn't seem to be something that would help his career.

Who else is left? From what I can tell thus far this message accounts for all of the regular stars in "The Closer." So, the leak would need to be someone that is NOT a regular ... maybe something that isn't fair, such as someone we don't know or maybe it is a listening or computer bug.

The question is what other character has access to the level of information leaking from Brenda's division. Could it be a spouse or significant other, we don't see often.

I was thinking about the M.E, BUT I don't think he gets the information the leak is providing, but I could be wrong. Maybe he chats up people or collects the information in other means.

What about Pope's secretary? We've seen her on and off. A Janitor?????

As you can see, for now I'm at a loss for a real good suspect. Hey, this is cool, we're trying to find the suspect .. unfortunately, we can't question or collect information .... oh, well.

Take care everyone and I look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions.

BTW! Two last thoughts / questions:

A) It might help to include thoughts / questions on the motive for leaking. It might help determine who.

B) How do you think the series will end for Brenda? To keep this question as part of the thread, do you think the leak plays a role in how / why she leaves? If so, who / why, etc?

Bert.

Avivaldi72

[18]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 12
    Krya Sedgwick said in an interview (I read it in the TNT forums) that the identity of the leak will be a SHOCK. If it is Gabriel, I will be ILL! He has been her favorite since the beginning of the show! Look at Season Five, where she was able to exonerate him in that shooting. I know it's not Taylor. I would like it to be Pope because ever since Season 6, I've really started to dislike his character - he pretty much threw Brenda to the wolves. And then the "Johnson Rule." WHY do they have to do this to us? It's a TV show, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I see a preview of the upcoming final six episodes, I almost get sick to my stomach because 1) it is ending and 2) someone will have betrayed Brenda, and it's going to feel like that person has betrayed US, the viewers, as well! They are keeping a tight lid on this one! I'd googled and googled about the leak and can find NOTHING, except that it isn't Taylor! I need to know so I can deal with it. I knew about half-way into the first episode of the series that I was going to LOVE IT. I've seen every episode, save a couple, at least 50 times.

diane_seattle

[19]Jun 23, 2012

I tried to respond to this last night but when I hit the post button, i got a message telling me I was not allowed to post to this forum. I hope this one goes through.

I agree. It's Fritz.

He is in every scene where a piece of information is passed to Goldman. Additionally, Brenda tells him everything. No one else has this information.

Brenda is offended that anyone would suspect there was a link in her division, & says so. She is NOT saying anything about a link OUTSIDE her division. She knows it's Fritz. How could she not? She figures everything out.

Also, in the episode "Fresh Pursuit," when Fritz appears in the office after Brenda is nearly shot, he says something like, "Baby, you've used up your nine lives." He fears for her safety & now is certain she can't take another risk.

Any hesitation I've had about this is based on the fact that the information goes to Goldman & who wants to talk to that sleazebag? I'm thinking Fritz has a Deep Throat somewhere who conveys the information. If you'll recall the original Deep Throat in real life, he was never exposed in his lifetime. One person claimed to be Deep Throat decades later, but no one believed him. If Fritz has a Deep Throat who's that loyal or whatever, he will never be exposed.

Go back & watch every episode from the first one where the leak appears. See for yourself. It's so obvious.

Speaking of appearing in every scene, does anyone know who the balding Chinese guy with glasses is? He's in virtually every scene, in the background of the murder room. He's featured behind the bullhorn during the bomb threat in the episode where Flynn & Provenza find the dead body on their way to skybox seats to see the Dodgers. I can't remember the name right now. He's also one of the officers aiming a gun, right next to Tao, in the "Fresh Pursuit" episode. Strangely enough, he also appears in almost every episode of Gilmore Girls. Both shows film on the Warner Bros. lot so it's not unreasonable to think he could appear in both series, even if they overlap.

So who is this guy? I'm on the verge of writing a letter to the casting company to ask. I thought it might be Ronnie Chong, a producer on the Closer. But I can't find a photo of him anywhere on the Internet.

Five new episodes spanning the interval from 9 July to 13 August, when the series ends!!! I can't wait.

diane

diane_seattle

[20]Jun 23, 2012
    I wouldn't consider Fritz as the leak as being a "betrayal." He's protecting the woman he loves every time he passes information on to Goldman. He knows she will win the case so there's no problem leveling the playing field with Goldman. Goldman gets cocky as a result of having inside information & this takes him down in the summary judgment.

diane