The Closer

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jun 18, 2007 on TNT

• He’s a bigamist

This is one of the few episodes of the show that I have seen so far and I loved this one along with the other ones I've seen.

The beginning of this one was creepy because it just started with the investigation and the dead bodies and blood everywhere. I loved how they all had to introduce themselves on the tape and Provenza just started going off and then they camera guy had to remind him to state his name and all. I liked Flynn freaking out over the little girl's body too. It was so sad to watch him like that.

I loved Pope and Brenda discussing the budget cut and Pope telling Brenda to get Provenza to retire! The two of them are always amusing together. It was great to see everyone together in the office after Pope and Brenda had the discussion about getting rid of one of the detectives. I loved Flynn acting the way he was and then having him remind Provenza that he was eligible for Retirement! It was great to see Provenza after that!

Gabriel and Brenda were great at the hospital with Eric! I loved how Brenda got him to confess to being out of his house when his family was killed. And I loved her reaction after he said he wished he was dead. It was great to see Pope walk into the office when the suicide watch was being confirmed.

And then Brenda spending more money using the jet to fly to where they needed to be, that was just so Brenda! It was great how she just casually said to send the bill to Chief Will Pope!

It was crazy at the end to see Kim confess. I wanted to hit him while he was in the interview room.

This was another brilliant episode of the closer!
  • Brenda and the team find Eric, the son of a man and woman murdered at his home,in the attic. Brenda tries to gain more time for the case, since everyone is asked to work less overtime due to a budget cut, by putting Eric on suicide watch.

Brenda has the case of a murdered family in her hands and also the teenage son, who is high on drugs, that was found in the attic of the home. Budget cuts force the LAPD to withdraw an officer from each unit, counting Brenda's. Everyone seems to be whispering in her ear to make Lt. Provenza retire, but she also gets an interesting offer from Commander Taylor. Due to the cuts, Brenda desires to gain more time for the case so she tries her best to put Eric on a suicide watch. Brenda tries to track down the owner of a cellphone found at the home, but she gets a nasty surprise when she discovers the identity of the owner and his hidden secrets.
  • She is back with a "bang!"

WOW, this was by far one of my favorite episodes! She has to be one of the best actor's I have ever seen. She makes all of us want to have her job; even when at some points it can be so horrible, life threatning, and nasty! Way to go Kyra!
    I absolutly love the part where she is in the hospital room with the boy asking him why he didn't hear his parents and little sister being murdered. She screams and bangs on the walls with two plastic cups! How much more awesome can she get? If you missed this episode go to and watch it! You will love it!
  • Kyra at her best!

Well Krya will no longer be called Mrs Kevin Bacon
    Knowing that this show has put her to stardom as
    She is the Closer. The team deals with a triple homicide
    Of a family. And the son seems to be a suspect. But
    It leads to a doctor prescribing drugs. Meanwhile the police
    Face a financial crisis. And that they maybe forced to cute some officers. As Fritz is tired of living in a small house and tries to get Brenda to buy a bigger house.
  • Masterful beginning for the 3rd season

Turns out that "The Closer" pulled a "Big Love" and in an unexpected twist the victims of the murders are a victim of polygamy, unaware. What's so great about this show is that the people who commit the murders aren't bad people, just really troubled. Although the boy did go over the edge with killing the 11 year old girl, there's still sympathy for the poor boy, who discovered his father was living two lives and then his father calling his own son a felon (you need to watch this episode to know what I'm talking about). Kyra Sedgwick's performance is also the main factor why this episode works so well. Her character just gets more complex and interesting each season.
  • A gripping crime, great twists, nice character development and an awesome confession. Season 3 is off to a great start.

A terrific way to open the season with the gang at the house, dealing with the shocking crime on videotape and confronting their own emotions during it. The budget crisis stuff was a nice subplot with Brenda not wanting to break up the team and the way they solved that was truly unique. Again, love the relationship between Simmons and Sedgewick with their awesome chemistry. Also good was Brenda's boyfriend not happy about their arrangements and needing a change for it. The investigation was good with the discovery of the man's other life and wife. Once that was made, the identity of the killer was obvious. However, the confession scene was wonderfully done as you can really understand this kid. It's one thing to find out your father has another family. It's another to find out that your half-brother has the great rich life with all he asks for, none of which you have. But to have your own dad refuse to ackowledge your existence rather than ruin his own happiness? I can't forgive him for killing the wife or little girl but can understand him capping his dad like that. So the series is kicking off in perfect style and we can only hope the rest of the year matches well.
  • Season Three is off to a strong start with a violent murder and lots of behind-the-scenes change.

After three seasons, it would seem to be an article of faith that The Closer's season opener is more about setting up the chess pieces and establishing the season's theme than about the crime that mirrors the thematic elements to come. That holds true here, as Brenda and the team are rolled out of bed at 3:00 am and sent to the scene of a gruesome murder whose only survivor is the teenaged son of the family. At first, he seems the likely candidate. But of course, he's a bit too likely, and we seasoned viewers of The Closer know he's the first person to cross OFF the list of likely suspects - sort of Columbo in reverse. Muddying the water further is the team’s inability to find any evidence the boy’s sociologist father works where the son claims, or to locate his collaborator, a psychologist named Dr. Reichter. But soon enough, the suspects begin to roll out: the boy's tutor/gay lover, the wife and son of the father's shadowy partner, and perhaps the partner himself. And in time, as we know, Brenda gets her ducks lined up, and the killer to confess during one of her razor-sharp interrogations. In lesser hands, this show would soon become trite and formulaic, but these are special hands indeed that write and deliver the stories we see each week, and this episode is no exception.

Particularly effective is the opening sequence, which follows Buzz around a crime scene as he films the victims’ bodies and the detectives’ reports for the courts. Authenticity has always been a hallmark of The Closer, and this episode offers us some new insights into how a crime scene is managed. This is accomplished by allowing us to travel from character to character, as they introduce themselves to the camera, describing a victim or piece of evidence in situ. It’s an emotional, insightful, unsettling and at times bloody group of scenes that gives us a real look in at what the detectives do, and feel, as they gather evidence at a crime scene. Particularly effective is Flynn’s segment, where he angrily complains about not being able to describe the spray that is clearly blood from the adolescent daughter, in accurate terms so as not to misinform the jury. At first, we think he’s just his usual cynical self, but it’s soon clear that the dead girl has gotten to him, the most (seemingly) hardened of them all. There’s been some controversy about how graphic the one or two scenes were; I’ve seen much worse on CSI or ER. But the video record is a canny device, that both introduces the characters to the new viewers and at the same time let those of us who know them see who they are, and what they do, at a particularly different crime scene.

Meanwhile, more drama looms behind the scenes when a financial crisis hits the LAPD. Faced with the prospect of losing a detective, Brenda attempts to deal with the problem first by fighting it, then by getting around it, and when that doesn’t work, by finally confronting it. This leads to some of the most potent interaction in the episode, as she and Gabriel explore his future, and his options when both realize his being transferred might be in everyone’s best interest, including his own. One conversation, where Brenda has seemingly resigned herself to what must be, is particularly moving. Both actors are able to convey with facial expressions and few words the bond that has been built between Brenda and Gabriel, and how little each wants to lose the other. It’s a lovely moment that brings two seasons of character development to fruition. Although the financial problem is far from resolved, the solution to the immediate problem comes from a surprising place, and the squad stays intact, if somewhat altered. Amusing, too, is Fritz’ latest salvo, when Brenda’s little house proves too small for the both of them, and their stuff. Of course, the episode is not without problems. The big surprise regarding the relationship between the dead man and the elusive Dr. Reichter proves pretty predictable, and as such rather anticlimactic. It had it in a hot minute once one particular clue was presented. And the selection of likely suspects was a bit narrower than usual, making it clear almost from the beginning that it had to be one of two people who was the killer. But these are trifles in the vast scheme of the story, and the outstanding performances by the ensemble, particularly Segwick, Reynolds, Simmons and Denison carry us through the slow patches. Welcome back, y’all. We missed you!
  • Rather unoriginal and disappointing. I hope the season improves as it goes along.

Last night the first episode of the new season of The Closer aired. I was really looking forward to watching. I've enjoyed this series since Season 1 and thought Season 2 was great. The third season has started out on a slow note for me. Looking back on reviews of other series, I find I rarely like the first episode of a new season, though I'm not sure if it's just me, or if the writers just need to get into the swing of things. "Homewrecker" was no different from my usual pattern. I felt the balance was off between Brenda solving the case and her dealing with the budget issues Pope had forced on her. When she did put some energy into solving the case, it was rather disappointing. The mistaken identity or confusion over identity has been done before (the pilot episode, for example) so I had guessed the "secret" before she revealed it. I also was sorry that most of the Priority Homicide Squad had very little to do with the case. We saw each person only briefly and even Fritz was hardly in the episode. I hope that the rest of the season has more unique cases and doesn't take away from the detecting part too much in favor of other issues Brenda is dealing with. I'll still keep watching, and hoping the season will improve.
  • thank yew...

So this was the first episode that I have ever seen. Kinda strange coming into a series in like the third season, but my boss told me to watch so I listened to her. Being a CSI fan and a Kari Sedgwick fan I really liked the show. Enough to go buy the first two seasons on DVD and catch up. So I liked the little things that I am sure that others are well aware of about the main character, the little accent and how she says thank yew and y’all. And she’s always eating (but so skinny so this annoys me too). Can’t wait for next week.