The Closer

The Butler Did It

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Aug 15, 2005 on TNT

• This episode felt more like we were returning to why most of us liked the show to begin with. Brenda was in her element sorting out the clues and solving the crime like nobody else.

The lure of "The Closer" all hinges on Kyra Sedgwick as Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson. She's "The Closer" and it's her ability to conduct interviews and illicit confessions that makes the show so entertaining. This makes for a daunting challenge for the show's writers, but this week's episode "The Butler Did It." truly delivers and is a perfect example of why I watch the show.

The story itself was not as gripping, or as gritty as past episodes, but I for one was happy that it wasn't. Some episodes this season were more along the lines of "justice at any price" more than the formula that was introduced at the start of the series. I like it when Brenda closes the case by outsmarting the criminal and building an air tight case, instead of relying on others to deal out justice as in last week's episode "Good Housekeeping". I needed something lighter and more soft hearted.

Even though the tone was lighter, there was plenty of good stuff going on. A handful of suspects, 3 different murders and plenty of drama thrown in the mix. This episode felt more like we were returning to why most of us liked the show to begin with. Brenda was in her element sorting out the clues and solving the crime like nobody else.