The Closer

The Butler Did It

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Aug 15, 2005 on TNT

• Provenza: "I've always wanted to say this: The butler did it."

Let's just start with that parking job.

Y'know, I get the sense that Brenda's a woman with a lot of pride. That not only does she enjoy being in control of the impression she's making on people, but that she insists on it.

Now, L.A. has gotta be a freeqin' nightmare to try to get around in when you're new, so she'd put up with leaving a little early and taking a few wrong turns, and she'd expect her colleagues to be gentlemen about it, and for the most part they'd understand.

I know it's possible that she's come in from a place with mainly diagonal parking. But after one attempt at parallel parking upon arrival, I'd assume she'd leave her car just any damn' way (like she ultimately did) and stride forth. Then, if she really had an issue with parallel parking, I'd assume she'd take a few moments between cases and just drive to a residential neighborhood and practice.

It's the vehicular equivalent of tripping on one's shoelaces and I know that Brenda has a lot more grace than that.

What is //wonderful// about this character, however, is that she doesn't lose poise for a moment. Faced with a gate and a wall, she is willing to climb on top of a black-and-white and pull a header to gain entry.

"There's a bit of a drop." :D

These little adjustment quirks they've included do keep her sympathetic without becoming, in my opinion, //actually// pathetic.

Now, to the murder.

Well, no, not yet. We must first have the D.A. ask her to run along and make some coffee.

I really did enjoy that exchange.

I also enjoyed him helping her do the dishes and clean up a little by way of apology.

Her house was spotless when Gabriel was stumbling around as kitten-wrangler. One wonders what that pile of mess was about. She //is// getting herself moved in and such but ...

... um ...

Did she leave Fritz in //Mexico//? He wasn't much in evidence in this episode.

I //do// hope they're not just bringing him in when he can help with the cases. Brenda would be a lobotomized fool to let that guy go.

And she proved, once again, that she is no lobotomized fool.

No fingerprints on the 30-pound ladder which the butler with his dodgy leg did //not// wipe down after clambering to his suicide drunk off his butt tottering out to the end of the flagpole.

Not especially clever on the part of the attorney, who has gotten perhaps a bit //too// good at cleaning up the Duttons' many, many messes. But an //extremely// pleasant exchange with the coroner, I thought.

Even so, it must've been possible to heave the body from the floor above. Meh, it's not that big a deal.

The leering vibe off the one son and the daughter's having the grace of Courtney Love at the prom was just some fun storytelling. I guess for $50,000 he'd have expected Det. Sanchez to have any name he gave him. :)

Then the creepy come-on by the other Dutton at the end of the episode -- "Be careful what you wish for," was an excellent line.

She's just so damn good. "Is that what you consider an interview? Dragging people in and just asking them questions?"

In the end, Occam's razor won out. Eliminate the impossible, and you're left with the only possible solution.

Nicely played, and once again, well done.

I see I've got another set of DVDs to purchase when this season is over. :)