The Colbert Report

Bill Kristol

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Apr 27, 2006 on Comedy Central

• What does the NFL Draft have in common with slavery?

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from Tony Snow to feminism.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by mentioning the great Spring weather and then the news that Tony Snow has been made White House Press Secretary. This means Stephen is on his way to the administration soon. The perfect time for such announcement is this Saturday at the White House Correspondence Dinner, which Stephen is hosting.

Moving on, Stephen checks in on his baby eagle, Stephen Jr. He just got some new video of his baby from the San Francisco Zoo.

Staying on the issue of parenting, Stephen says today is Take Your Daughter To Work Day. It's not so bad unless you're like the group of girls CNN showed fighting in California. Time magazine also had a story about the problem with "wild" girls who are becoming very violent. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "White Gloves." Stephen opposes women fighting one another. Instead, he prefers women solve arguments with passive aggressive comments and sex with her friend's boyfriend. Stephen ends "The Word" and waits for the women to leave the room to talk to just the guys watching. He says that he's made the women mad so that they can do our fighting for us. "Now we've already got them thinking careers are important... that means less work for us," says Stephen.

Back from commercial, Stephen mentions a new book he read and just loves it. It turns out the author plagiarized several entire passages for her own book. Stephen has, of course, been accused of the similar thing with his own book. He reads a passage, containing several characters from other books (Harry Potter, for instance). This transitions us into a new edition of "All You Need To Know" which is Stephen's simplification of news/life. Stephen touches on news such as Lee Raymond's expensive retirement package, major insurance companies in coastal states, new bacteria can make beans flatulence free, Ben and Jerry's controversial ice cream names, and David Copperfield tricked a mugger into thinking his pocket was empty. Stephen brings out Bobby to help him show how Copperfield did the trick.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Bill Kristol. They talk about the war in Iraq, possible war in Iran, Donald Rumsfeld, and building a larger military.

Back from commercial, Stephen takes some time next to the fireplace to talk about the NFL Draft, which according to Stephen, reminds him of slavery... having no say in where you go to work.

I'd have to say that this episode was fairly average. All of the segments were good, but they were almost all on par with one another, making a balanced show. "The Word" was structured a little differently, being split up. It reminds me of an episode of Good Eats, when the host did a similar thing when the women were in and out of the room for a show about "man" food.