A The Colbert Report Community
Comedy Central (ended 2014)

NOT SO LUCKY NEWS

... French house music duo Daft Punk was all set to make a rare appearance on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report last night when all of a sudden MTV nosed its way in and said "adieu" to that. Daft Punk is also scheduled to perform on MTV's Music Video Awards, and network, upon realizing that DP was booked on The Colbert Report, threatened to boot them from the much higher-profile VMAs if they stopped by Colbert's show. Why? Greed and exclusivity, if I'm getting this story straight. The last-minute cancellation forced Colbert to think on his feet, so instead of going with five minutes of dead air he held a celeb-filled dance party to one of Daft Punk's songs. Look out, Ellen! [New York Times]

BUSINESS TIME

... VH1 is sticking with its business plan of putting celebrity couples in front of cameras and editing in some drama with LeAnn & Eddie, starring pop-country star LeAnn Rimes and her actor-husband Eddie Cibrian of CSI: Miami and The Playboy Club. The reality show will follow the controversial couple—Rimes was married to another man when she started seeing Cibrian—as they, you know, be a famous married couple and shit. You have to wonder about an actor whose acting career isn't completely over taking part in a VH1 reality show, because the offers are going to dry up once his private life is plastered all over VH1, right? As for Rimes, this makes total sense for her because, well, she's not the little starlet she once was. [VH1 via press release]

... Fox has ordered a pilot for Stuck, a comedy from Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation). The series, which Jones would executive-produce, is about a middle-aged woman stuck in a rut who gets her daughter hired at the bank where she works, and instantly sees her daughter become her boss. Jones, who will be leaving Parks and Recreation in its upcoming sixth season, will not star in Stuck. [TV Guide]

... Shonda Rhimes has another TV show cooking at ABC. Rhimes is working with Made in Jersey creator Dana Calvo on a new detective series set in Miami. Annnnnnd it sounds pretty rote: An unorthodox male detective is partnered up with a by-the-book female detective and they do some detecting. [Deadline Hollywood

... Fox is eying another miniseries, this one called World War III. And it's about World War III. There's not much to detail here; a bunch of countries get pissed at each other and go to war against each other. [Deadline Hollywood]

... That TV adaptation of Heathers is dead. Bravo fed it bleach and isn't moving forward with it. [Buzzfeed]

... Fox is developing a single-camera comedy from Ken Marino (Childrens Hospital, Burning Love) and his wife Erica Oyama (Burning Love) that's based on the life of Dogfish Head Brewery owners Sam and Mariah Calagione. It will follow a couple that builds a company together from the ground up. [Deadline Hollywood]

... You were busy today, Fox! The network also bought a new comedy called... F.O.M.O., which the kids today tell me stands for Fear of Missing Out, a mantra for going out every night just in case something really amazing happens when you decide to stay in like a responsible adult. How to Make it in America creator Ian Edelman is behind the project, which follows a group of youngish people looking for more in life than their insurance sales jobs. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Pee-Wee Herman will be back on TV, sort of! Paul Reubens told The LA Times that he's working on a new show that's kind of like Pee-Wee's Playhouse and due in 2014. He said an official announcement was imminent. [LA Times]

CASTING NEWS

... Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia) has landed the big role of Charlie's long-lost lesbian daughter in Two and a Half Men. Right now the character is only slated to recur, but if things go well, Tamblyn will be promoted to series regular and make the big bucks. [TV Line]

... Jordana Spiro, who we'll try to remember from My Boys and not The Mob Doctor, has been cast in FX's pilot Tyrant. The much-anticipated Tyrant comes from Homeland's Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff and follows an American family that lives in the Middle East. She'll play the wife of Justin Kirk's character; Kirk's casting was announced yesterday. [THR]

... Last Man Standing will welcome a pair of guest stars from everyone's favorite fowl-murdering family, the Robertsons of Duck Dynasty. Si and Willie Robertson will drop by the Tim Allen comedy's season premiere on September 20. This will be their acting debut if you don't count all the faked stuff from their "reality" show. [ABC via press release]

... Mindy of The Mindy Project is gonna see firsthand how the D.E.N.N.I.S. system works. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Glenn Howerton will guest-star on the Fox comedy as a mellow attorney who romances Mindy over multiple episodes. He'll first appear in the fourth episode of Season 2. [E! Online]

... Sundance Channel's The Red Road has added the fiery Tom Sizemore to its cast. The drama is about a cop who's caught between a small town and a Native American tribe. Sizemore will play a scary drug dealer. Don't get high on your own supply, Sizemore. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Veronica Mars' Jason Dohring (Logan!) will make at least a guest appearance on The CW's upcoming sci-fi series The Tomorrow People. In the series about teens with superpowers, Dohring will play an operative who used to work for the bad guys. [EW]

... Rachael Harris (The Hangover) has taken over the female lead in Fox's upcoming comedy Surviving Jack. She replaces Alex Kapp Horner as the wife of Christopher Meloni's character, a dad who gets hands-on with raising his son after his wife goes back to school. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Chuck's Captain Awesome (Ryan McPartlin) will drop by Hart of Dixie next season. He'll play a handsome guy who gives the women of Bluebell the vapors, I do declare. [TV Guide]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 11 : Episode 40

42 Comments
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
yeah the video was better then daft punk on e
Flag
Colbert rocks!!!! that was a killer video!!!!! DP? Who the F are they and who cares???? MTV Video Awards? Is there anything more irrelevant now???
I'll watch anything Kem Marino is in!!!!!

Kill off 2.5 men please!!!!!

Flag
I think I probably enjoyed Colbert's performance more than I would have Daft Punk's
Flag
Stephen Colbert is awesome.
Flag
Colbert, you make me proud to say that I was born in SC
Flag
Colbert is pure win
Flag
How long in advance did Colbert have to put that together? That was awesome. Had to take weeks to get it shot, I think. Also, I didn't expect that Henry Kissinger still worked at a desk with a billion folders.

Ken Marino is a very funny fellow, and has piercing eyes that gaze into your soul, based on my experience with him at last year's Comic-Con, hopefully sitcom life will not stifle him. His wife is also a writer on Children's Hospital, I had to look it up because her name was blaring at me from a mental image of a title card I'd seen a lot, and that was it (sorry Burning Love, I didn't memorize your titles, you were funny too).

Every few years Paul Reubens comes back and says he's got another Pee Wee's Playhouse on the near horizon, and every few years it cruelly doesn't come true.

I like Amber Tamblyn, I dunno about getting trapped on that sinking ship. "But captain, we're sinking!" "I don't care, mister! More coal for the fires, I want full steam ahead!"

Glad to see Glenn Howerton getting more work, he's very funny and seems like he has a lot more range than just Dennis Reynolds, he was good as a voice actor on Cleveland Show. That said, Dennis is a really interesting character because he believably can go from taking the high road to date rape and back again on It's Always Sunny, that's a brave range to write and express.
More+
Flag
colbert is the best.
Flag
Stephen Colbert is the man. Life threw him quite a big lemon and he made sweet, sweet lemonade with a star-studded group of buddies.

2 and a Half Men now becomes 2 Men and a Woman... dear God, just pull the plug on the show already. It hasn't been funny since Charlie was fired, but now with the "half man" leaving and being replaced by a girl, the show's title doesn't make sense anymore!
Flag
MTV is the scourge of TV...

Colbert FTW! The man is a living legend!
Flag
That clip was awesome! Colbert, you rock! Now, I could be confusing things, but I thought Comedy Central and MTV were owned by the same company. Either way, something awesome came out of something ridiculous.
Flag
Feel really sad for amber tamblyn that she will be on that god awful show, but really pleased for her that she's going to make a f*** tonne of money.
Flag
Stephen Colberts dance moves have to make FTW this week, otherwise I'll never go on TV.com again. BAH BAH BUMMM
Flag
ABC should be renamed to Shonda Rhimes network.
Flag
The ABC detective show sounds like L&O:CI except set in Miami and they don't get along as well and the female is more by-the-book.
The person in charge of casting at LMS is trying WAY too hard.
Flag
I don't particularly watch The Colbert Report unless it's somebody I like is a guest, as with all late night talk shows (except Chelsea Lately, I like the panel), but I'd sooner watch it every single night than ever watch any MTV award show these days...

love Amber Tamblyn, hate Two and a Half Me... so good for her but I'll NEVER see it.
Flag
Tamblyn's 30, Sheen's about 48. So apparently Charlie conceived this kid at a pretty young age. If she plays her own age, which is probably unlikely. But I don't know, I guess I was just expecting someone closer to Jake's age.
Flag
I was thinking the same thing, they were talking about a younger character and this one is already fairly established in life. Show is going to be nothing but 30- and 40-somethings now, I guess she'll be a "half man" by being female but wanting to carouse with women, which is perhaps insulting to actual lesbians.
Flag
Charlie Sheen having a kid at 18? That seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd be shocked if Charlie Sheen didn't knock up some chick in his teens.
Flag
Sheen is a grandfather; his 30 yo daughter had her first child a couple of months ago.
Flag
Stephen Colbert Rocks!! Although I doubt it could hapen, it would be col for Daft Punk to mention them on the stage of the MTV Music Awards which I will avoid as the pest.
Flag
I just can't see Amber Tamblyn, who typically plays somewhat bookish or uptight characters, as right for a show mostly based on constant boozing and sexcapades. A completely surprising choice. Would have expected a party girl type.
Flag
Why Amber Tamblyn, an incredibly talented and unique actress whose roles are some of my favorite in all of television, would demean herself in such a fashion is beyond me.
Flag
Maybe it has something to do with the fact she hasn't booked a major role in years. And her resume does include General Hospital, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Inside Amy Schumer and Spring Breakdown so she's not exactly Audrey Hepburn.
Flag
$$$
Flag
Most everything I've seen her do involves characters that are somewhat quirky, but a bit laid back, or low key, in shows that are primarily dramas. She probably wants to do something radically different in comparison and out of her usual comfort zone. The money was probably not bad either, not to mention being something of a high-profile show despite what people think about it. In her mind, it's a likely a good career move.
Flag
OMG, that was one of the most awesome things I've seen all summer. Jimmy Fallon has some serious swerve for a white boy! And the Writer's Room break-in was brilliant. LOVED IT!

Shonda Rhimes's cop show sounds boring but I'll have to give it a 4 episode test based solely upon how outrageous Scandal is.

Fox + WWIII = bomb

Tyrant sounds v. promising. Does FX even greenlight anything that isn't fantastic? I thought Lights and Terriers were both great and they cancelled those after S01, but still.
Flag
Good for you Stephen Colbert. You took lemons and made lemon meringue pie. As for MTV, I didn't even know they still played music. MTV bad! Pie good!
Flag
As Stephen said, the VMA's is the one night MTV does show music videos. Also, mmmm pie.
Flag
I'd love to see Pee Wee's Playhouse flat-out uncancelled. It had 47 episodes, meaning another season could have given it a syndication deal. I don't know why CBS walked on that one.

And no, it's not for the reason you think. The show was already canned by the time that happened. Presumably, if Pee Wee had been given another season, he would have been busy with the show, and not in the theater, and his childhood innocence schtick would never have been shattered so badly.
Flag
Fox's War World 3 sounds interesting.

Yay for more Jason Dohring in tv!
Flag
If only Jason Dohring could be a series regular on Tomorrow People... Oh well, beggers can't be choosers. Seriously, Mark Pellegrino + Jason Dohring + Robbie Amell = AWESOME
Flag
1) MTV continues it's general sucking trend (yes it has a couple moments here and there, but they brought 16 and Pregnant and Teen mom to the world). But yay Colbert for making a crappy situation awesome.

2) PEE-WEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what I'll be watching. :D
Flag
I won't be watching Two and a Half Men, but I wish Amber Tamblyn luck. She's not bad.

And good for Colbert. I'd hoped that Daft Punk canceling would at least keep me from hearing that damn song for the buttillionth time, but it was almost worth it to see Colbert dancing around. Okay...barely worth it.
Flag
I like Amber Tamblyn. I hate Two and a Half Men. But I like her enough to want to see her get the big paycheck.
Flag
She is probably too good an actress for that show, but she will do an awesome job.
Flag
Glenn Howeton? Anders Holmes? I think Mindy has a type!
Flag
Colbert for the win
Flag
Follow this Show
Members