The Colbert Report

Craig Crawford

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Dec 07, 2005 on Comedy Central

• Stephen takes a look at the war on Christmas.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from the war on Christmas to heating oil.

Stephen starts off by getting into the war on Christmas. Stephen wants to open with a graphic package for a campaign against humbuggery, but the director doesn't have the graphics or the music for it, so Stephen makes it up on his own.

Stephen moves on to Hugo Chavez, who has agreed to offer cheap heating oil to people in New York, which brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word", which is "Hell, No!" (changed from "Hell, Yes!"). Stephen says we shouldn't be accepting help from other countries.

Back from commercial, Stephen brings in the Threatdown. Stephen's caught off guard by there being six on the list. The number six threat is "Popes!", as there are too many made for TV movies about the Popes. Number five is "Wasps!", who could put drug and bomb-sniffing dogs out of business. Coming in at number four is "9/11 Commission!", who released a new report, which says U.S. is at risk. Next, at number three is "Alien Landing Areas!" because new circles seen in Mexico, and have something to do with Scientology. Number two is "Happiness!", specifically German happiness, as German ad campaign trying to show a different side of themselves, and Stephen objects to seeing the Germans happy. The top threat is "Bears!" because they want our Christmas, and is taking over the Coca Cola Christmas cans replacing Santa Claus.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Craig Crawford. They talk about how politicians turn regular people against the media, which is the subject of his new book.

I enjoyed most of the episode, really, all except for the interview, which didn't interest me very much.