The Colbert Report Forums

Weekdays 11:30 PM on Comedy CentralIn Season

Alpha Squad 7 Comic!!?

omarshat

[1]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 6

Newsarma.com reported Sunday from the San Diego Comic Con that Oni Press will be bringing Stephen Colbert's Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure to the world...probably in comic book form. The details are sketchy, but they are planning for a Spring '07 launch. Here's a link, though the Tek Jansen info is at the very end of the article.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=77968

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ClevelandRocker

[2]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 25
    omarshat wrote:

Newsarma.com reported Sunday from the San Diego Comic Con that Oni Press will be bringing Stephen Colbert's Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure to the world...probably in comic book form. The details are sketchy, but they are planning for a Spring '07 launch. Here's a link, though the Tek Jansen info is at the very end of the article.

Well, they did say that Stephen was launching a book for 2007. Maybe this is it.

HelloStuart

[3]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 63
    y
    ClevelandRocker wrote:
    omarshat wrote:

Well, they did say that Stephen was launching a book for 2007. Maybe this is it.
    One of them, yeah.

"My Name is Earl," the comic book.  I never saw that coming.

Edited on 07/29/2006 4:16pm

HelloStuart

[4]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 63
    Well, we've seen the pseudo-Anime version of Tek Jansen. Comments?

SammoHung

[5]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 9

HelloStuart wrote:
    Well, we've seen the pseudo-Anime version of Tek Jansen. Comments?

Hmm, looked more silly than funny to me, honestly.

The drawing style was good, I liked the Aeon Flux look and the over the top goofiness of the character with his weird pompadour and Samus-like rolling jump. A couple of visual gags made me laugh (the exploding sofa, Tex dangling with his butt out at the end), but most of them were cliches in themselves, which is not the best for a thing that supposedly pokes fun at cliches of science-fiction (is it really needed? are we still in, like, 1965?)  It seemed a little pointless, really. If they want to continue doing these cartoons, they've got to start doing spoofs of some new, more hip material, or, if they want to stick with the Buck Rogers-like extravaganza, at least find something better that old Leslie Nielsen-like slapstick to make the audience laugh. That's my opinion, at least.

Favourite moment: "SOLAR PLEXUS! I'VE GOT TO FIND THE PLANS SO [exposition] ....BUT WHERE ON...oh, there they are."

Hilarious delivery.

ClevelandRocker

[6]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 25
    ColbertNation is an official website, but TekJansen.com isn't (thank Whois), so does anyone know who runs TekJansen?
    Edited on 08/12/2006 7:51pm