The Colbert Report Forums

Weekdays 11:30 PM on Comedy CentralIn Season

Colbert desperate for attention?

sheli20

[1]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 8

I guess the ratings are really low if he had to pull such a desperate move and put half naked cheerleaders on his show.

Yesterday he was salivating over Michelle Obama, today he brings cheerleaders, what's next??

I think Colbert and Stewart's support for Obama is bringing out the worst in them. And that's really sad because I used to think they were pretty smart people.

The interview with Obama's four-spoon-wife was soo extremely retarded I had trouble believing this was actually the Colbert Report.

Nothing witty or smart. Just a desperate man trying to help his beloved candidate with retarded and chauvinistic questions.

And the whole pathetic attempt to prove that Michelle was poor so she can't possibly be condescending...Actually I think people who come from a poor background are more likely to use condescending attitudes to deal with feelings of inferiority.

After seeing her on the show I think maybe Michelle Obama is one of those bitter people Barack Obama was talking about: Poor, bitter, and to compensate - condescending.

Edited on 04/16/2008 10:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jockmock

[2]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    1. Colbert is on fire right now. He hasn't been this funny in a while. Yesterday's show was a bit weaker than the other two this week 2. I think Colbert comes across as a Hillary supporter in the show. He attacks Obama far more than any other candidate, and sounds more serious when he does it
    Edited on 04/17/2008 12:47pm

TheDiamondDog

[3]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 61
    Colbert comes across as a Hillary supporter to me too. He attacks Obama the way Stewart seems to attack Hillary. And Colbert is easier on Hillary.

raystorm156

[4]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    jockmock wrote:
    1. Colbert is on fire right now. He hasn't been this funny in a while. Yesterday's show was a bit weaker than the other two this week 2. I think Colbert comes across as a Hillary supporter in the show. He attacks Obama far more than any other candidate, and sounds more serious when he does it
    I agree with you when you say He seems like a Hillary supporter, but I don't agree with you when you say he is the funniest he has been in a while. I'm not sure but I think the writters have gotten rusty over the strike. I miss when the WORD was a daily segment almost like Colbert's moment of zen. I also miss stuff like Alpha Dog of the Week and all that and it almost seems like Colbert has been leaning a lot more left latley. Though he is a fake conservative it seemed like having a right show to balance the daily show on the left it kind of balanced it out. Oh P.S. McCain '08
    Edited on 04/17/2008 6:52pm

sheli20

[5]Apr 18, 2008

Colbert tries to be a bit more "balanced" than Stewart but practically all the last "the word" segments for example, were dedicated to ridiculing and dismantling arguments made against Obama while making fun of Clinton's responses. The talk with Michelle Obama was all about proving Obama's critics are wrong. On Wednesday, he began his interview with Ed Rendell by reading a poll proving that Rendell's endorsement of Clinton doesn't really matter to anyone (Rendell cleverly responded it's not just his endorsement, but any politician's endorsement that doesn't matter much) and the only relatively serious rant he went on when speaking with Rendell was this:

"But I do think there is a place for talking about gun rights and talking about religion in politics. because you can talk about these two things and play on people's fear their guns will be taken away and play on people's fear that your opponent may be a secret Muslim. those are two very effective ways. and then people will cling to their guns to protect themselves from the secret Muslims"

That's the sarcastic way of saying "Clinton is talking up guns to trigger a subconscious response against Obama" which is a weak argument by any standard but still, that's what he said. And that's a very clear attempt by Colbert to "expose" Clinton's "dirty tactics".

Last night, when talking to Obama, he echoed Obama's claims that reporter's questions to Obama are merely political distractions. This claim by Obama is one of the craziest so far. I mean, you could say the same thing about the whole of the political process in a democracy: "Stop asking me so many questions, just give me the candidacy/presidency and be done with it"

And not to speak about the upscale in sexist remarks and behaviour this week, and the whole script written for Obama last night intended to portray him as this cool guy who watches the Colbert report on a regular basis.

Edited on 04/18/2008 1:38am

EdFan101

[6]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 21
    that sign in the "the word" thing has done a better job at being funny,but i guess he has to have a reason to keep up his ego

kevinb4444

[7]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 20
    watch out anytime you say anything against Colbert on this page their fans report you, because they act like they are open minded butthey really are hypocrites. They are only "open minded" if it's something they agree with but if they hear a difference of opinon they will report you and won't listen to it.

EdFan101

[9]May 12, 2008
    its called freedom of speech colbert would want us to say whatever we want about him

sheli20

[10]May 13, 2008
    What happened to response number 8? was it deleted?

Kegher

[11]May 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    I agree that he's been making more fun of Clinton recently, but hey, she gave him all the reason to. It's not like he's making stuff up you know. He makes fun what he can make fun about.. don't suddenly start crying if it's about something you like

EdFan101

[12]May 15, 2008
    i think he has been funnier lately

NYBrian120

[13]May 16, 2008
    • level: 11
    I agree with sheli20. Colbert is always quick to (through sarcasm, of course) point out Clinton's foibles or misteps, but anything like that coming from Obama is made to seem like it's a "distraction" or unimportant. This is probably what I like more about The Daily Show; Stewart is more balanced (equal opportunity offender), while Colbert seems to favor one side (even one specific candidate).