The Colbert Report Forums

Weekdays 11:30 PM on Comedy CentralIn Season

Colbert Spoke at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner

TheDiamondDog

[21]May 14, 2006
    • level: 61

ClevelandRocker wrote:
    thegarz wrote:
    i mean, i remember when i watched the bit from the first episode i laughed my socks off... ..when he repeated it at the dinner you could almost hear the crickets in the background
    Just to say, he showed it at the dinner before showing it on the show.

Really?  Guess someone found it okay.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Vedran_Kurama

[22]May 14, 2006
    • level: 16
    Only some people were really laughing at the dinner, most of them were either republicans, too embarassed to laugh at the president infront of him and some of the jokes maybe they didn't get my.

My favorite has to be the Hindenburg one...laughed my butt off.

whalenapp81

[23]May 22, 2006
    • level: 4
    the point of his speech was to roast bush on his home turf, so he would have to listen, and everybody was dead in the crowd cause they realized what was going on, it didnt matter that it didnt get laughs, that wasnt the point, it took huge balls for him to walk up to the loins den, and b***h slap the lion in the mouth, i applaud u mr colbert.

kila177anja12o

[24]May 22, 2006
    • level: 23
    First off it took balls to do that. I think there were a lot of nervous laughs and some genuine ones, but as it went on people were getting uneasy and weren't sure how to act with the president sitting right there. Whether you agree with Colbert's satire or are a hardline Bush conservative I think everyone should take the speech as is: a comedy routine. If you don't I still think it had its moments.

TheDiamondDog

[25]May 27, 2006
    That pry is a tough crowd. 

wesmcg

[26]May 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    OMG that was funkin hilarious. I was jumpin around hardly able to watch it was so uncomfortable. Finally someone who doesnt kiss his ass got close enough to give him an ear full. Lets just hope Stephen doesnt have any mysterious car accidents lol.

Domestink

[27]May 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think he did a good job.

takes guts to do that .

ClevelandRocker

[28]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 25
    Domestink wrote:
    I think he did a good job.

takes guts to do that .

No, it takes balls to do that.

MikesLogic

[29]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 2
    That was awesome, I laughed my rear end off! I like Bush as a person, can't stand some of his policy decisions though. Colbert laid it on him one thing after the other. The fact that the crowd was so quiet either means they didn't get what he was saying(very likely) or that they knew it was true and thought it would be in bad taste to laugh about it in front of Mr. President.

Atheist420

[30]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 10

to say he bombed there, means nobody has ever been funny in the history of the universe. check out my SIG! this should, but wont, go down in history as the best comedic performance of all time. finally somebody held the presidents feet to the fire, and showed him how stupid he really is. and the reason he "bombed" as somebody said is because it was a room full of 99% conservatives, then again some people dont get his republicaness for lack of a better word is an act.. and people still laughed.
    Edited on 07/10/2006 6:16am
    Edited 3 total times.

TheDiamondDog

[31]Jul 15, 2006

He did alright, and got laughs, but not too many.

I know this is a different show and all, but I like after when Jon Stewart hosted the Oscars how he said, "I sucked, and was hilarious."

Ulips

[32]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    ya it kind of got old the jokes

natureabor

[33]Jul 28, 2006
    I thought it was hilarious! He was truthful yet it carved down to the surface of what Bush and his Administration is about. The audience was conservative, that's why they weren't very warm when he gave his speech. But I wasn't listening to the audience, I was listening to his speech.

Freakin' Sweet!

The_XIII_order

[34]Aug 24, 2006
    The reason why the press didn't like it is very simple.
    1. It was an insider crowd, filled with Bush enthusiasts, so of course they're not going to like any cracks on Bush alot.
    2. Then he started busting on the press for doing whatever the hell the Bush administration tells them to do. So of course they're not going like any cracks on them. It's a natural human failure. We enjoy criticizing others, but hate it when we are critiziced. My science teacher proved that while she was correcting me on an error I made. I said she spelled a word wrong, she looked at me and said "Now why did you say that?" in a tone that was proably supposed to make me ashamed of myself. However, there is no excuse for Bush, who is supposed to take all criticsm,  to look like he wanted nothing more than to hit Stephen Colbert in the face.

P.S When Bush says he can defy all laws as Commander-in-Chief does that mean he'll defy that one Constitional Amendment the Republicans put up after Roosevelt to try and run for a third term. If he wins.................................
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

HelloStuart

[35]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 63
    The_XIII_order wrote:
    The reason why the press didn't like it is very simple.
    1. It was an insider crowd, filled with Bush enthusiasts, so of course they're not going to like any cracks on Bush alot.
    2. Then he started busting on the press for doing whatever the hell the Bush administration tells them to do. So of course they're not going like any cracks on them. It's a natural human failure. We enjoy criticizing others, but hate it when we are critiziced. My science teacher proved that while she was correcting me on an error I made. I said she spelled a word wrong, she looked at me and said "Now why did you say that?" in a tone that was proably supposed to make me ashamed of myself. However, there is no excuse for Bush, who is supposed to take all criticsm,  to look like he wanted nothing more than to hit Stephen Colbert in the face.

P.S When Bush says he can defy all laws as Commander-in-Chief does that mean he'll defy that one Constitional Amendment the Republicans put up after Roosevelt to try and run for a third term. If he wins.................................
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My thoughts exactly. Thank goodness for that 22nd Amendment.
    Edited on 08/29/2006 8:26pm