The Colbert Report Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2014)

Democrat or Republican?

lyghthouse

[21]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    HelloStuart wrote:
    hsimpson44 wrote:
    He acts more Republican on the show always defending Bush and showing hatred of Hillary and Obama, but I'm guessing he is independent in real life. You cant belive Wikipedia, anyone can tamper with it. Including Hillary!

You do realize it's an act, right?

It's surprising to me when people don't realize that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NaPoLeoN50

[22]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 6
    Stpehen is hilarious. He plays his die hard Republican charchater so well you can't really tell. I would say he probably leans closer to the left in real life though.

NeptuneSky

[23]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    lyghthouse wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    hsimpson44 wrote:
    He acts more Republican on the show always defending Bush and showing hatred of Hillary and Obama, but I'm guessing he is independent in real life. You cant belive Wikipedia, anyone can tamper with it. Including Hillary!

You're not the only one. I've meet a few people who thought Stephen was NOT acting.

I can't believe there are people who have watched his show and actually don't "get it"...who actually don't understand that Stephen is playing a character (a conservative republican) and mocking them in return. That's what makes his show so funny. I guess people just don't understand sarcasm...

Stephen has said in many interviews that he is a Democrat.

Rainyseason

[24]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 2

NaPoLeoN50 wrote:
    Stpehen is hilarious. He plays his die hard Republican charchater so well you can't really tell. I would say he probably leans closer to the left in real life though.

He is amazing, what is so much fun is listening to crazy right wing radio. It can be a national guy or even a local guy and he hits their "talking points" perfectly, whats almost sad is that his character at times makes more logical arguments then the people he satires.

jaspio

[25]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    NeptuneSky wrote:
    lyghthouse wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    hsimpson44 wrote:

You're not the only one. I've meet a few people who thought Stephen was NOT acting.

I can't believe there are people who have watched his show and actually don't "get it"...who actually don't understand that Stephen is playing a character (a conservative republican) and mocking them in return. That's what makes his show so funny. I guess people just don't understand sarcasm...

LOL

It really is funny that so many people really are clueless. I may be a foreigner who watches Jon's and Steven's shows from abroad but i got the sarcasm straight away.
    Have any of the republican-theorists ever seen the word?

Its just one big farce of a conservative pundit that sarcasticlly makes fun of everything republican: including bush!.

Although I have to admit that Steven is has mellowed out a lot more since the first few weeks of season 1. That character was still too rough for me. But this season 2 is awsome: the wit, the sarcasm, the whole wrist incident...
    Steven should definately get get the 2008 Emmys. And since he and Barry Manilow are now buddies _and_ he sang with Tony Bennet. How can you beat that?

Steven deserves an Emmy! If any readers here can make it happen, please do!

sandrilene23

[26]Oct 16, 2007
    Colbert's character is brilliant. He points out all of the stupid things that the republican party does, and then claims thatthose stupid things areexactly what this country needs. He cracks me up. I can see how someone wouldn't understand that it's a sarcastic act, though. He's very good at playing a hard-headed, self-centered guy.

24chevyfan

[27]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 12

whats funny is... his character thinks like me. but he is kidding. For instance: We both hate hilary and obama, plus we are very consertive.

im hoping when he runs that he isnt liberal and that hes atleast in the middle

TheDiamondDog

[28]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 61
    I loved on the show when he was gonna run both as a Rebublican & a Democrat.

HelloStuart

[29]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 63
    24chevyfan wrote:

whats funny is... his character thinks like me. but he is kidding. For instance: We both hate hilary and obama, plus we are very consertive.

im hoping when he runs that he isnt liberal and that hes atleast in the middle.

TheDiamondDog wrote:

"Consertive?" "Rebublican?" Man, mp34mp would have a field day with you guys.

anubis145

[30]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 9
    Well, Stephen is officially both a Democrat and a Republican... I guess that sort of makes him Independent.

TheDiamondDog

[31]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    "Consertive?" "Rebublican?" Man, mp34mp would have a field day with you guys.

Eek. I hit the wrong key.

HelloStuart

[32]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 63
    anubis145 wrote:
    Well, Stephen is officially both a Democrat and a Republican... I guess that sort of makes him Independent.

No, that would make him Joe Lieberman.

kaospilotX

[34]Jan 8, 2008
    lyghthouse wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    hsimpson44 wrote:

It's freaking sad really. :S

cyyto_degaunt

[36]May 26, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    anubis145 wrote:

No, that would make him Joe Lieberman.

haha

clevermark92

[37]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    I would have thought he was Republican, but on the show a few weeks ago he said he was Libertarian, so I think he is a conservative Libertarian.

Bengals859

[38]Jul 2, 2008
    He is an independent because when he ran for president he was on the Democrat and Republican Tickets until he couldn't pay the fee to join the Republican race and the Democrats thought that this was a joke so they didn't allow this name to be on the ballot.

Hoeech

[39]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 66
    NeptuneSky wrote:
    lyghthouse wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    hsimpson44 wrote:

"Always assume the person you are speaking to is an idiot. 9 times out of 10, you'll be right." - Lenny Bruce

Myschly

[40]Jun 9, 2009
    • level: 9

His character is really just making fun of Bill O'Reilly (on air).

I think it's very easy to find out where he stands on issues. His jokes are obvious in that way.

Watch his speech at the white house correspondents dinner (2006 I think) to get a clear view of it all