The Colbert Report

Frank McCourt

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Jan 18, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen announces an all-education show.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from education to bullying.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning an article he read in the Antigua Sun, which pointed out there is an education convention there. Stephen has decided to dedicate the entire show to education.

As he's about to get into the next segment, he stops the show and takes a note away from a girl in the audience, as she was going to pass it off to someone else. Stephen walks back to his desk and reads it, but the girl insists she didn't write what she wrote.

Stephen transitions into tonight's edition of "The Word", which is "smarterer", which is what we need to make our kids. Stephen insists we should change the "three R's" to religion, recruitment, and rage.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces "Bring Them Back or Leave 'Em Dead: Teacher's Edition." First up is Greek teacher and philosopher, Socrates, and the audience chooses "bring him back." Next was John Scopes, of Scopes/Monkey Trial fame, and the audience again chose "bring him back." Stephen wraps up the segment with Annie Sullivan, and the audience chose "leave 'em dead."

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Frank McCourt. Since Frank is a retired teacher, they discuss education and what needs to be changed.

Back from commercial, Stephen ends the show with a scene next to his fireplace. He suggests using bullies to educate our children.

Tonight's theme of education ended up being quite funny. I loved "The Word" of course and enjoyed the interview with Frank McCourt.