The Colbert Report

Frank Rich

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM May 09, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen takes a look at the "Movies That Are Destroying America."

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from summer movies to Frank Rich.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by mentioning the great mood he's in. As you may remember, he lost $5,000 in the Kentucky Derby, but he went double or nothing, betting against David Blaine, who tried to set a world record for being able to hold your breath the longest underwater. David Blaine missed the record by over a minute, so Stephen got his money back. In other news, Zacharias Moussaoui is trying to get the judge to overturn his conviction. He's trying to say that he was just kidding about having something to do with the 9/11 attacks. The judge denied a new trial, but Stephen would like him to get a new trial. Instead of getting life in prison, the ultimate penalty is spending the rest of his life with David Blaine in his water bubble.

Moving on, Stephen says that Sigmund Freud's birthday was just the other day, his 150th, to be exact. Even the mayor of New York City named the day "Sigmund Freud Day". This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Superegomaniac." Freud said that we're motivated by subconscious thoughts, something Stephen doesn't like. He asks all of us to remove all of the thoughts from out head that we're unaware of.

Back from commercial break, Stephen introduces another installment of "Movies That Are Destroying America: Summer Blockbuster Edition." The most dangerous movie is An Inconvenient Truth, starring Al Gore, who narrates a movie about global warming. Stephen still doesn't believe global warming exists and he really hates this movie. Also on the subject of environment, the movie Hoot has been released. Stephen's not a fan of it because the characters in the movie try to save a burrowing owl species. Stephen's worried about this strange burrowing owl, as it's not something he's ever heard of. Stephen then takes issue with Over The Hedge since he thinks it's an instructional video for illegal immigrants. Stephen finally takes issue with Tom Cruise's new movie, Mission Impossible 3 because it allegedly gives away too many of our CIA's secrets. The one movie Stephen can recommend is Akeelah And The Bee, a movie about a teacher who wants to help kids learn to spell. Stephen likes the movie because it's the first movie produced by Starbucks. He then tries to get Burger King to purchase his script for a movie he would like them to make.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Frank Rich of the New York Times. They discuss how the Democrats and Republicans differ, what President Bush has done in office, and then media. Stephen and Frank both are employed by mediums in which are being phased out in some respects by the Internet, especially when it comes to news.

Tonight's episode was fairly average. I've never been a particular fan of Frank Rich, so as far as I'm concerned, he was a filler guest. The David Blaine opening was okay, and I liked that Stephen even touched on Zacharias Moussaoui. My favorite segment from tonight was "Movies That Are Destroying America: Summer Blockbuster Edition." I particularly enjoyed the bit about Over The Hedge. I absolutely laughed my ass off when he compared that movie to illegal immigration.