The Colbert Report

George Stephanopoulos

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Jan 16, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen offers movie picks and a way to keep illegal immigrants out of the country.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from spying to foreigners.

Stephen starts off the show by talking about how he had a BLT, and he loved it. He then transitions into Martin Luther King, Jr., as today is his birthday. He then moves onto the FBI and Stephen asks Allan, a stage hand or intern to bring out Martin Luther King's FBI file, which is quite large. Stephen opens up part of the file and shows some photos the FBI supposedly took. To prove that there is nothing to worry about the FBI spying, Stephen is requesting his file, and to do so, he provides his finger prints, which he makes on-air.

Still with finger print ink on his hands, Stephen moves into tonight's edition of "The Word", which is "¡Cerrado!," Spanish for "closed." While reading the script, Stephen touches his face a few times, rubbing the ink on to his nose and cheeks. Anyway, he goes on to suggest we close off the country and put a dome over us all, keeping everyone out.

Back from commercial, Stephen is in the mood to discuss bad movies in a segment called "Movies that are Destroying America: Awards Edition", as this is Golden Globe season. Stephen rattles off a number of films he saw the trailers for films he doesn't like. There was one film which sounded interesting, Trans America. He recommends it as a great date movie.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, George Stephanopoulos. They talk about everything from domestic spying to the odds of George getting involved in politics again.

Back from commercial, Stephen ends the show with a mention of Martin Luther King, Jr. and he pulls out an "I Have A Dream-Sicle." As he talks about Martin Luther King Jr., he eats the "I Have A Dream-Sicle" and ends up getting a brain freeze.

Tonight's edition of "The Word" was one of my favorites from recent shows. The ink served as a funny gag, and I thought his idea of one, massive dome was a hilarious idea. He should have mentioned this would keep the cold weather out of the country from Canada.