The Colbert Report

Jeffrey Sachs

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Mar 02, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen tackles the Oscars and poverty.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from the Oscars to tonight's guest, Jeffrey Sachs.

Stephen starts off the show by complaining about the press. It seems a poll in the newspaper says more Americans can name the judges on American Idol than we can name the rights afforded to us by the first Amendment.

Stephen then moves on to the subject of Brokeback Mountain, a film which has made a lot of buzz, but Stephen doesn't seem to care about it, certainly unlike other people who have their own TV show. Stephen says he prefers westerns which aren't gay, but he rolls a clip which really makes you think.

Moving on, Stephen points out a news clip about a dead cat which had bird flu, something very peculiar. He believes something is behind a series of bizarre things which have been going on with animals. He shows a few clips from other episodes, which brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Homo Sapien Agenda." Stephen goes on to discuss how nature and humans impact one another and finally suggests that we need to set a better example.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces another edition of "The Da Colbert Code" which offers a peculiar mix of logic to give the reason to a problem. In tonight's edition, Stephen believes Mike Myers was responsible for Hurricane Katrina, Lyndon Johnson was responsible for killing President Kennedy, Rachael Weisz will win Best Supporting Actress, Reese Witherspoon will win Best Actress, George Clooney will win Best Supporting Actor, Phillip Seymore Hoffman will win Best Actor, and finally, Crash will win Best Picture.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Jeffrey Sachs. They have a very good discussion on poverty and how we in the U.S. would help end it in places like Africa.

Back from commercial, Stephen ends the show by referencing his experience in playing Dungeons and Dragons, something which consumed a lot of his youth. He then places a few of the D&D dice on one of his book shelves.

Tonight's episode was pretty good, but it didn't have any *great* moments like the previous two. My favorite segment was the "Da Colbert Code" bit, which I'd like to see appear more often. The ridiculous connections Stephen make are hilarious.