The Colbert Report

Jon Meacham

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM May 01, 2006 on Comedy Central

• I just saw Jon Meacham...

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from George Clooney to Irianian women losing rights.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by mentioning many of his Mexican employees aren't anywhere to be found all of a sudden. This really threw off Stephen's day. However, his weekend was great. He was able to speak at the White House Correspondence Dinner. Although Stephen did a great job, many of the people who attended the event seem to find him funny or quite understand his humor. In Stephen's opinion, the biggest problem with the event is George Clooney was allowed there. Clooney's been trying to increase public attention on the terrible things which are going on in Darfur. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word", which is "Drug-Fueled Sex Crime." Stephen argues a celebrity's role is not to bring help to places like Darfur, but rather tell us how to dress and decorate our cribs.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces another installment of "Tip of the Hat/Wag of the Finger". Exxon receives a tip of the hat for their recent incredible profit report. A wag of the finger goes to Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his ban of women attending soccer games. Doonesbury receives the next wag of the finger for a terrible comic strip about killing innocent Iraqis. Next, a wag of the finger goes to Chicago for banning foie gras.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Jon Meacham. The fellas first discuss the role in which religion had in the founding of the United States. As the discussion progresses, they talk about religion's role in politics.

Back from commercial, Stephen ends the show with a tribute to email and SPAM. As a tribute, Stephen places the original SPAM message sent on the Internet, known as Arpanet originally, in the form of slotted punch cards.

It's rare that the first segment immediately transitions right into "The Word", but it worked out very well. The other segments were well done, but having seen Jon Meacham not that long ago on The Daily Show, I didn't find him that interesting or necessary.