The Colbert Report

Markos Moulitsas

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Apr 06, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen profiles Oregon's fifth district!

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from Bush's approval ratings to Darlene Hooley and Markos Moulitsas.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning the Peabodys were announced yesterday, and amazingly, Stephen wasn't given one. This brings us to a new edition of "Who's Not Honoring Me Now?" He goes into an angry rant about how he's promoted the award countless times on his show, even providing clips of those instances. He then asks a staffer to "do it". We then see a hand come into the camera frame, and it turns the Peabody award around so that it faces the wall instead of the interior of the studio.

Moving on, well, not quite. He apologizes to the Peabody committee for being so angry and says he hopes to get one next year.

Truly moving on, Stephen takes aim at the radical left for their continued crusade against Easter, all in another edition of "Easter: Under Attack", of course featuring the hilarious graphic of Jesus being shot at in a cave, and returning fire. The Anthony-Thomas Candy Co. has recalled a large order of their colored Easter eggs because some of them may contain undeclared egg whites. Also on Stephen's list is Walgreens, our nation's drug dealer. Inside one of their circulars is a page of bunny rabbits, as well as a "prayer bear", which Stephen warns about. He says this is very dangerous. When the bears get us to kneel and pray, it puts us right at claw level. Unfortunately, Stephen actually purchased one of them because they were so cute. Traitor!

Moving on, Stephen turns his attention to the President's approval ratings, which still suck. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Nazis." Stephen says that low approval ratings are a good thing because it proves the President is unlike Adolf Hitler. Hitler had 99% approval ratings, afterall, so someone in the 33% range is totally unlike Hitler, which is great for midterm elections.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces another edition of "Better Know A District", which profiles the fifth district of Oregon. Stephen then shows us his interview he did with Congresswoman Darlene Hooley. They talk about the war in Iraq and Oregon's marijuana growers. They also spent quite a lot of time debating what was a fruit and what was a vegetable. When the interview was over, you could see the Congresswoman regretted doing the interview.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Markos Moulitsas. They focus their discussion on politics and why the Democrats don't win. This interview is more fluff than substance and I didn't walk away learning anything.

I really liked tonight's show. I was hoping for a good one before they went on vacation, and they delivered. The only poor segment was the interview. It was a complete waste of time. There were a few funny moments, but it was largely a disappointment.