The Colbert Report

Michael Eric Dyson

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Feb 22, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen talks to Michael Eric Dyson about the Katrina disaster.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from port security to gay adoption.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning the Olympics, which has been getting poor ratings. Stephen comments on some of the skating athletes. Since Stephen can't show video of the Olympics because of the legal rights, Stephen has to make things up with a doll and a bong. He re-enacts a ridiculous press conference, wherein two teammates for the U.S. weren't very friendly to one another, to say the least.

Stephen then moves on to the port security controversy. Should a foreign country secure our ports? The answer is found in tonight's edition of "The Word", which is "Absolutely maybe." Stephen goes on to offer a ridiculous opinion on the matter, and suggests that we just go along with whatever President Bush says.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces this week's edition of "The Threatdown." The number five threat is gay adoption. Stephen tells us some state governments have introduced legislation to ban gay adoption. Number four is knowledge. The national archives are reclassifying thousands of documents for some reason. Number three is jews. it seems a Jewish-run newspaper has called for anti-semitic cartoons to be drawn and published. The number two threat is cereal. Stephen mentions a cereal brand which has changed its name two or three times, making him suspicious. The number one threat this week is roommates. Stephen cites a story about one roommate who killed another roommate for running out of toilet paper. Stephen suggests buying toilet paper in bulk from Sam's Club.

Back from commercial, we're greeted with a clip of Reverend Sharpton, who wishes Stephen a Happy Black History Month. Stephen then welcomes tonight's guest, Michael Eric Dyson, who has written a book about the racial makeup of those who suffered the most from the Hurricane Katrina disaster. They have an enjoyable and frank discussion on the Katrina disaster and how the Bush Administration's response only added to the disaster.

This was another pretty good episode, although I admit I was distracted during part of it, as I was also watching a Modern Marvels episode, so I did miss a little. I caught most of the interview with Michael Eric Dyson, who I enjoy listening to from time to time. He's often featured on Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO.
COMEDY