The Colbert Report

Paul Rieckhoff

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM May 03, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Well done!

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from FEMA to gas.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by warning the audience about their language. It turns out Stephen's mom and sister are in the audience and he doesn't want them to be offended. He then thanks everyone, the heroes. Not all of us are heroes, of course. It seems hundreds of war protesters got together recently and staged a big protest in NYC. Upon reviewing the footage which he shot, he notices a familiar face, his black friend Alan. Stephen's horrified his friend would protest the war.

Moving on, Stephen brings up the name of Michael Chertoff, head of Homeland Security. Stephen's upset about his unwillingness to take control of the bear population. Well, Stephen received a response from Mr. Chertoff. It's in the form of a note, which reads, "Because we want all Americans to feel safe... here is your personal bear deterrent. Accompanying the note is a bell you wear on your pants. Stephen says that when you walk with it, it jingles, making the bears think it's Christmas. Stephen appreciates the gift and sends Mr. Chertoff a bottle of wolf urine to keep the deer out of his flowers.

Remaining on the topic of Michael Chertoff and FEMA, Stephen mentions a recent call for the abolishment of FEMA, which has done a terrible job with response to Hurricane Katrina. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Name Game." Stephen suggests either overhauling the agency or dumping it. Either way, we need to lower people's expectations of what the government will do in response to a big disaster.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces a new installment of "Stephen's Sound Advice," which offers some suggestions for coping with the high price of gas. No air conditioning, get your friends and family to use public transportation, find the gas stations with the lowest price, carpool, no alternative fuels, buy oil company stock, and finally pray for lower prices are all on Stephen's list.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Paul Rieckhoff. The fellas have a spirited and funny debate about the war in Iraq.

Back from commercial, Stephen says that due to numerous email requests, he's decided to go a bonus round on "Better Know A District" for the eleventh district of Georgia. Since it's a bonus round, Stephen's calling it "Betterer Know A District." In it, we see Representative Phil Gingrey reading a passage from the movie, Gone With The Wind, a favorite movie of his.

I loved tonight's show. Every segment was well done, none of them were really weak. The interview was surprisingly good. I thought Paul Rieckhoff did a very good job defending his points of view and even took a few shots at Stephen.