The Colbert Report

Peggy Noonan

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Dec 08, 2005 on Comedy Central

• Stephen takes a look at the Christmas movies, and offers his opinion on them.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from Christmas movies to Bill O'Reilly.

Stephen starts off the show by talking about a newspaper actually showing positive news.

Stephen moves on to an "old" topic about a group of Native Americans who tried to sue the U.S. government for money. Stephen doesn't really want to hear about, as some people are never satisfied, which is in tonight's edition of "The Word", "Satisfied?"

Stephen moves on to a segment from Bill O'Reilly, who nailed a reporter. Stephen has someone bring out a piece of wood, a hammer, and a nail, to show off the "Nailed" hall of fame. To commemorate Bill O'Reilly's nailing of the reporter, Stephen hammers in a new nail.

Back from commercial, Stephen talks a bit about Hollywood, and introduces a guide of movies to avoid, called "Movies That Are Destroying America - Christmas Edition". Stephen recommends not to watch The Family Stone, but watch Brokeback Mountain, and finally, not watch Narnia.

Returning from break, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Peggy Noonan. Their discussion was about President Bush, President Reagan, and the late Pope John Paul II.

Stephen ends the show by telling people to start up a nation-wide Secret Santa program, but it turns out Stephen's trying to start a pyramid scheme, which will net him a lot of money of course.

I enjoyed several segments, but I thought the "nailed" segment was a waste of time. I thought that the end, with Stephen's request for folks to join the Secret Santa pyramid scheme was great!
  • I saw this episode live.

I guess this is a very special episode for me because I got to meet Stephen (from my studio audience seat) and I'll most likely never forget it. Stephen is a cool guy who you could imagine having a beer with. Some of his family were there and you got to see that side of him too.

And the part where he says: "And now for today's word..." you'll hear a single hand clap if the volume is way up... That's me.