The Colbert Report

Ralph Nader

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Apr 20, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen explores how many Asians fought in the Civil War.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from Shakespeare to Maryland's fourth district.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by showing off some footage of his baby eagle courtesy of the SF Zoo. He then mentions he looked at some of the newspapers he was using to make a bed for Stephen Jr. for when he comes home. One paper says Americans want to focus more on our own country and less on the rest of the world. The one thing that really got to him is a one-day sale. It says you cannot afford to miss this sale. Stephen's just not sure how he's going to break it to Stephen Jr because they've both missed it.

Moving on, Stephen says we're failing our children right and left. A judge in Massachusetts have a young criminal the option between time in jail or learning Shakespeare. This brings us to tonight's "Word", which is "bard." Stephen says that teaching kids Shakespeare will make them more violent and get an out-dated vocabulary. Stephen then dresses up in a period costume and tries to speak like Shakespeare.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces another edition of "Better Know A District". Today, we examine the fourth district of Maryland, just outside of Washington D.C. Stephen then introduces us to the district's representative, Congressman Albert Wynn. They talk about several issues, including NSA wiretapping, Mr. Wynn's ugly divorce, Jack Abramoff, voting, and how many Asians fought in the Civil War.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Ralph Nader. They have a funny discussion about global warming, corporate behavior, and Exxon.

Tonight's episode was fairly average overall. The last three segments were all very good, but the first bit about newspapers was very disappointing. That was certainly the weak point in tonight's show. The rest of it was, as I said, all done very well.