The Colbert Report

Rev. Jesse Jackson

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Apr 04, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Now that racism is taken care of, Stephen interviews Rev. Jackson.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from the marshlands to cosmetic surgery.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning the news that Tom DeLay has resigned from Congress. Stephen says he's upset about DeLay retiring, but he's doing it at the right time, during a criminal investigation. He then decides to retire DeLay's number. What's that number? 22, which stands for the 22nd district he used to represent.

Moving on, Stephen says that we've saved the wetlands. We're up almost 200,000 acres, but it's because we're considering golf water hazards as being wetlands. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "birdie." Stephen goes on to say that the Bush Administration is helping with the expansion of the English language and that the conservationists have won, so why complain?

Back from commercial, Stephen focuses on the people of Brazil. More and more Brazilians are willing to go under the knife to get cosmetic surgery. Stephen suggests that we need to increase our interest in getting more people involved in in cosmetic surgery. We should get them interested at a young age according to Stephen, which brings us to another edition of "Stephen Colbert's Balls For Kidz". Four young children ask questions to the camera and they're answered by a variety of plastic surgeons who are at a big convention, pushing their services. The surgeons are very frank and some of the terminology is clearly over the heads of the young children.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Reverend Jesse Jackson. They talk about poverty, racism, Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, voting, and immigration, all of which have been in the news recently.

I enjoyed all of tonight's episode except for the "Stephen Colbert's Balls For Kidz" segment, which was pretty weak in the comedy department. The rest of it was fairly good, although "The Word" was a little below par, but it was still a good show.
COMEDY