The Colbert Report

Rick Reilly

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM May 04, 2006 on Comedy Central

• Stephen profiles Oregon's third district.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from excommunicated bishops to Earl Blumenauer.

Stephen starts off tonight's show by mentioning he was out last night with Patrick Kennedy, and it seems they drove into a concrete barricade. Stephen takes full responsibility for the whole incident. Stephen says he shouldn't have stayed up so late.. he just couldn't wait for today, the National Day of Prayer. A NASCAR driver has the logo for the event on his car, which was featured in a race, where he finished thirteenth. The event is chaired by Dr. James K. Dobson's wife. According to the the National Day of Prayer website, the response you get from God all depends on your relationship with him. To show the relationship, Stephen has put together a handy chart. If you're a Satan-worshipper, you can't expect much. A liberal can expect to get help for a better hair cut. Next, most of us are like Toby Keith; we have flaws, but can ask for much more. On the extreme end, we find the Dobsons. They can ask for anything, even smiting people. Stephen ends the segment with a prayer. In it, he prays for himself, his crew, and for his car keys to be found.

Moving on, Stephen mentions the Chinese Catholic Church ordained two Bishops without the consent of the Pope, so the Pope excommunicated them. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Indulgence." Stephen asks the Catholic Church to cut the Chinese some slack on this issue.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces another edition of "Better Know A District" which profiles Oregon's third district. Stephen then interviews the district's representative, Congressman Earl Blumenauer. They talk about the district and whether or not the war in Iraq is really a war on terrorism.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Rick Reilly. Since Mr. Reilly is a writer for Sports Illustrated, their entire discussion is about sports. Much of the interview focuses on Barry Bonds and the steroids controversy.

Back from commercial, Stephen is about to say goodnight to us all when he finds his car keys. He smiles, picks them up, and thanks God. The then says goodnight.

I liked much of tonight's show. The interview segment was certainly above average. I hope Stephen has Rick Reilly on more often; he has a great sense of humor. The "Better Know A District" segment was good as always. Although they're pretty much all the same content, there's still humor in it somehow. Stephen's still able to keep the show fresh.