The Colbert Report

Steve Kroft

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Mar 21, 2006 on Comedy Central

• USA wins the World Baseball Classic... well, not really... just in Stephen's opinion.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from Japan winning the World Baseball Classic to mad cow disease detected in the U.S.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning Japan beat Cuba in the world baseball classic, which in his opinion, is the same as the U.S. winning since we beat Japan in World War II.

Moving on, Stephen turns his attention to the news about a cow in Alabama was tested for mad cow disease, and the test was positive. This brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Eat It." Stephen says that testing a tiny fraction of cows is the smart way to go, much to the chagrin of many others worried about their health.

Back from commercial, Stephen mentions to the crew that there are employee reviews. He calls Bobby over for his review since he's got to leave early to do something with his wife. After asking Bobby a series of questions and lecturing him, Stephen nearly fires him. Up next, Stephen reviews the director, Jim Hoskinson, and then a stage hand, named Killer.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest, Steve Croft. They talk about Steve's time on 60 Minutes and a report he did on war profiteering. They also mention Bill Clinton, who in Steve's mind, was the best liar he ever interviewed.

Back from commercial, Stephen introduces an Inbox corrections segment. After addressing a few complaints, Stephen ends the show.

I enjoyed the employee review bit... very silly, I admit. The interview with Steve Croft went about as I expected it to go, no real surprises. Stephen's take on the baseball tournament was hilarious.