The Colbert Report

Stone Phillips

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Oct 17, 2005 on Comedy Central

• A great start to the show.

When watching tonight's episode of The Daily Show, I actually felt somewhat anxious, but a little concerned. What if this show isn't quite what I thought it would be. It turns out I had no reason to be concerned.

Stephen's teaser opening was much like that of The O'Reilly Factor and Countdown with Keith Olbermann. He introduced some of the stories that would be mentioned on the show a little later.

"The Word" was right out of The O'Reilly Factor, where Stephen went on a little rant about various things, which had to do with the night's topic, "Truthiness". I thought it was hilarious.

Up next was "Threat Down", straight out of Countdown with Keith Olbermann. A list of various threats was presented, and Stephen have a little background profile on the threat, and gave his own little view of the topic, and it was very funny.

After the commercial, Stephen welcomed Stone Phillips. I thought the interview went well. Stephen is actually not too bad of an interviewer for the purposes of a comedy program, of course.

After taking a break, Stephen brought Stone Phillips back for a hilarious segment where they would read a few lines, to prove that if you have great journalistic gravitas, it doesn't matter what you say.

The show ended with a mention of Peter Mayhew, of Star Trek fame. This was an interesting ending, and it gave another opening for Stephen to show off how much of a geek he really is.
  • Excellent opening.

With the introduction of the word "truthiness" Colbert captured the angst and exasperation of a cadre of the angry electorate. Colbert's expert parody fine tuned during his time on the Daily Show is allowed to shine brightly on his own show with free reign. Colbert has always cited Stone Phillips as one of his main influences and it is quite fitting to acquire him as the first guest for the character he was a main catalyst for. Phillips proves to be an excellent sport and interviewee. The power of this episode really carries the show through the first season as proof "truthiness" got the award "Word of the Year". Overall it was an excellent introduction to a near perfect news satire.
  • Show finding it's feet

The Colbert Report has potential but is definitely trying to find itself. Colbert stated the overall theme of his show in the premier episode and yet I didn't feel this theme represented the program that followed. However, there are some very funny moments that give hope to the show's continued improvement and as he gets more used to being the start, Colbert should have a hit on his hands. Too bad he's competing with David Letterman and good for me that I have Tivo and can record the show at 2 am in the morning.
  • Yes, the series classic, though, it was the first episode - making it the best episode yet! It was a great beginning to what I think will be a great show.

Yes, the series classic, though, it was the first episode. It was a great beginning to what I think will be a great show.

I really liked the episode. It did get kind of annoying at times, with the camera switching over and over though, and the interview needed more lighting. Overall, it was pretty good, though, not as good as the Daily Show.

• He's gone from a correspondent to an anchor, true, but has he gone from a great show to an average one? I'm not too sure about the Colbert Report.

7.8
    Okay, so it was good, yes... There were some genuinely funny moments and to say it is average wouldn't be fair, it is above average. But it's no Daily Show, that's for sure.

I'll completely give him the benefit of the doubt though, as it were, and more so... You can completely see where he's going with the show, you can see the potential it has, but I'm just not sure about it. One thing, it's certainly a huge ego trip for him and fair enough, he's a legend, but I just don't know... his stuff perhaps more suited to quick, shorts or perhaps stand-up... Whilst it's probably not that fair to compare it to the Daily Show it's an inevitable thing to do. I can see it going somewhere though and, as I said, there were many, genuine laughs so hmm...

One to keep an eye on, I say.