The Colbert Report

Toby Keith

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Jun 18, 2007 on Comedy Central

• Too much ITunes promotion. Too much singing - not enough zinging.

First of all there was WAY too much Toby Keith. The man seems to embodies every stereotype of redneck trash I can think of. Stephen barely mocked him for his jingoistic uber-patriotism and his vendetta against the Dixie chicks or for his unwaivering support of Bush. He came off as unintelligent, unable to express himself and sullen. He sat slumped in his chair and mumbled incoherent answers.

Was he just TOO easy of a target so Stephen decided to be nice to him & pretend to like him?

Then there was the awful twangy singing of his godawfully stupid song. (yes, I listened to the whole thing & tried give it a chance) - - wherein he seems to rant again rich "high maintenance" women who think they're too good for lower class manual laborers.
    I guess this is his version of "keepin' it real" and contributing to the struggle of the proletariat man against his oppressors. Or something..... not sure what was meant by that song... or was it just Sour Grapes from his pre-singer days over some woman who spurned him?

The other reason I (very uncharaceristically) did not really enjoy the show was there was way too much product placement and disucssion of Itunes. An occasional mention to try to get his episodes or the riotously hilarious White House Correspondant's dinner is fine -- but at some point he crossed over and seemed to just be promoting ITunes.

And finally, the "WORD" is usually the highlight of any Colbert Report but I just felt that his man-crush on Matthew McConagehy was not very inspired. The comments on the right hand side (which often are so funny I almost cry) basically just mocked Matthew for being a stoner and apparently a ladies man. Overall still love the show and it's a 9.5/10 in general, but let's just pretend this particular episode didn't happen.