The Colbert Report

Tony Campolo

Aired Weekdays 11:30 PM Feb 27, 2006 on Comedy Central

• A show about religion was surprisingly good.

The show opens with a teaser of content from the show, which involves everything from the separation of church and state to the apocalypse.

Stephen starts off the show by mentioning 92% of Americans believe in God and then announces tonight's new theme about religion, "The De-Deification of the American Faithscape." Stephen then mentions a few things he does believe, but it's clear this list isn't very short, taking up a nearly whole minute, while speaking quickly. Stephen then asks Bobby about his religion, and he responds by describing his Unitarian background, completely confusing Stephen.

Moving on, Stephen shows the news about the recent attack on the Golden Mosque in Iraq, which is causing a civil war. We're then treated to a pyramid graphic of sorts, which shows which religious groups hate who.

Stephen then moves on to the separation of church and state, which brings us to tonight's edition of "The Word," which is "Trial Separation." In his opinion, Stephen thinks the separation was a bad idea, and it's time to change things. He thinks it's time for prayer in the school and the ten commandments should be in the courtrooms.

Back from commercial, Stephen ponders the end of the world, and whether or not he'll have to be here when it happens. He debates which religion is best, but also throws in an automobile, just to keep things interesting. Of all the religions, Stephen comes away recommending the Toyota Camry, over all of the religions.

Back from commercial, Stephen welcomes tonight's guest Tony Campolo. They have a funny discussion on religion and politics, and how they've impacted one another.

Back from commercial, Stephen decides to take some confessions from callers from around the country. When one of the callers says she has impure thoughts of him in a gladiator costume, Stephen stops the show and asks the director to patch her in to his dressing room.

I hope it's not just me, but I actually get a kick out of the themed shows. Another one was the one about the American workers, and this was a similar episode, and I loved it. Every segment from tonight was rock solid, even the interview with Tony Campolo.