The Collector

CityTV (ended 2007)

The Collector Fan Reviews (8)

• Main character (Morgan Pym) helps people who have sold their soul to the devil, find redemption before time runs out...

Every episode dealt with the attempt at redemption of a common person, that for one reason or another, chose to sell their soul to the devil. The overall storyline, focused on Morgan Pym, was really intriguing because he is immortal and is forced to work for Satan. Throughout the series, Morgan is tortured by memories of his lost love, and believes that after saving enough people, he may eventually find his own redemption through his good deeds.

As the series progressed, you notice how several of the reoccurring characters' story lines, intermingle. Good show that could have had easily another 2 seasons...
  • The show is better seasons in seasons. Really nice canadian show!

I really want to know more about what the devil really want to do with this little game and Morgan. For the moment i watch this show in next position and its really interesting to watch and see this tv show become better seasons in seasons. i hope to see some season of this nice show from my country :P
  • A very great show...

I saw previews for this show and I said WOW. that looks really good. But I never saw it until about a Year later. I've still only seen a hand full of episodes but I was very impressed. I never really know when it's on but if a see that it is on I will watch it. I love the idea it is really original- Some guy was tricked by the devil into working for him and he's like 600 years old. Then he made a proposition to the devil, to give him 48 hours to save someone's soul, and the devil accepted. Sometimes Morgan saves people and sometimes he doesn't. Every episode the devil gives him his assignment, the devil appears as someone different. Being canadian i really liked the fact that this show took place in canada. This is a sweet show and it shouldn't be cancelled. Later...
  • A great sci-fi suspense

This show is my new best friend because it's an original suspense that concerns the Devil and people making deals with him. Morgan Pym, the main character, helps those people into not going to Hell for their deals. Morgan had only 48 hours, in other words, 2 days to help the victims, which make the show suspencing. Instead of Canada and on CityTV,

why can't this show be on maybe UPN, NBC, or FOX and shot in the USA? That would make the show better.

If the writers maybe add more cast members and have huge guest stars on the show, like Ted Danson or Matthew Perry or maybe Tony Danza.
  • Starts of well and original and ends up like any other 'save the soul' wannabe heart wrench out there...

3.6
    There you have a show that has it all - a great idea, a wonderful cast, plenty of room to maneuver - and at the end of the first season it all falls apart. Season one is different and almost makes it into the cult sci-fi category and then it seems that the producers cotton on to the fact that they have something special there and 'commercialize' the whole business. If you think season two is hard to watch, season three is a pain. Gone are all the promises of originality and everything that made the show special.

If you loved 'Highway to Heaven' you really gonna enjoy the last third of season one and the remaining episodes - if you look for something different: Keep looking.
  • A great sci-fi suspense

• Saving souls 24-7...

Living in the USA, I would not have even known about this show if it wasn't for the creators, Jon Cooksey and Ali Marie Matheson. I knew them from my favorite show of all time, "So Weird". I'd gotten their contact information and wrote them occasionally, and they always wrote back. When they told me about "The Collector" I was thrilled. I knew they were brilliant writers and the show sounded like something I would definitely enjoy. I immediately made a fansite for it, and hoped that it would sell in the U.S.

It was a long time since I first heard about "The Collector". With it's third season premiering in just a few months, the show has become popular in Canada and overseas, but unfortunately a U.S. network has yet to buy the rights to the show. I'm hoping that Sci Fi will buy it and syndicate it, because it's an awesome show. I was able to see a handful of episodes thanks to a friend in Canada.

If you are not convinced that this show is any good, think about this: after seeing the pilot the network that airs "The Collector" committed to a whopping 88 episode order - which has NEVER been done before.

If you are interested in learning more about "The Collector", you can check out the awesome official site: www.thecollectortv.com
  • Brilliant writing makes this Canadian show shine.

Summary of the show:
    The premise of the story is that the devil is real, and so is hell. When someone makes a deal with the devil, the deal gives them unbalanced good luck for ten years (while giving someone or something else bad luck for ten years), and at the end of those ten years the devil has the right to collect their soul to go to hell. In the dark ages, at the dawn of the outbreak of the plague, the single biggest killer of man in our time, the devil takes on an apprentice to assist him in collecting souls. This person is known as a Collector, or by his mortal name, Morgan. Morgan was a monk whose beloved was dying of the plague. He renounced his faith and made a deal with the devil to have ten years more with her. At the end of those blissful ten years, she caught the plague again, and the devil came to collect Morgan's soul. Instead of simply taking it, he offered Morgan the chance to become his first collector.
    Now, in modern times, Morgan decides he wants the chance to help his 'clients' redeem themselves before their last 48 hours is up. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, and the devil allows him this wager...for now.

My review:
    The Collector is a very original show that keeps you thinking, guessing, and anticipating. The show has several sub-plots going on which helps fill out Morgan's world and make him question himself and what he knows of this world and beyond. The clever thing about the show is that it only shows you as much as Morgan knows, and every episode has a twist in it to keep the viewer on their toes. For centuries Morgan took the souls of those who he thought deserved to go to hell, and now he's decided that everyone deserves a second chance. He finds out that there are some good people who made deals with the devil to do good, and there are wicked people who made deals with the devil only to do evil. Dead Like Me wishes it were as good as The Collector.

The downsides to this show aren't enough to make me think poorly of it in the least but I'll discuss them for the sake of being a reviewer here. The show is produced in Canada, for Canada, and as a result I think the production quality suffers, in terms of the quality of film used and the sets and locations they use. The acting is good but not fantastic, and Chris Kramer gives the same reaction when people decide they don't feel like redeeming themselves. Season 1's Maya was a much better character and fit better with the series than the season 2 Maya. The sub-plots with Maya in the second season are completely confusing, and actress Sonya Salomaa does not hold a candle to season one's Carly Pope.

All of that aside, the writing of married couple Jon Cooksey and Ali Marie Matheson is brilliant, and makes the show truly shine. The series is semi-serial in nature as each episode features a new client and thus a different story than the previous episode, but there are serial plots and sub-plots that intertwine with the current 'client.' I highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoys mystery, fantasy, and sci-fi. I'm looking forward to season 3!