The Colony Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on Discovery ChannelIn Season

Outside Interaction?

BlueCadwal

[1]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 2

I like this series, but I'm really curious about the outside interaction. Like, what are they having to consult "outside experts" about? And how much of an impact does the camera people have within the colony? It seems like there is only one camera person running around and maybe a sound person for a crew of two (I know Ghost Hunters - TAPS - has a single sound and camera person per group when they go to "haunted locations").

Do these camera people interact with the colonists? Like "walk me through the process of building this" and "what are you working on?" It just seems a little unnatural to talk myself all the way through a process like "I need to get the shower built, so to cut out the side walls I'm using a jig saw which gives me the mobility I need. It won't be as neat as a circular saw, but it'll get the job done, which is really all we need." (obviously I don't remember the exact phrasing of any of their stuff, it's just an example).

I just feel like I want an inside look as to what the producers expect their staff to do rather than just watching the colonists.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BlueCadwal

[2]Aug 20, 2009

Oh, another thing I've been pondering... how is this area so self-contained? I looked on Google Earth and the neighboring areas seem to all be populated when the photos were taken. It seems to me that an outsider could just as easily wonder into the neighborhood. Of course for all I know, that entire area could be one massive film lot.

dunbrine47

[3]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 9

Realitytv what do you expect.......

Yep we all agree that the cameram men/ outside help ruin this show a bit. (Although the outside help is there for insurance/legal purposes)

If only it was they had the whole wharehouse littered with security style cameras and a "confessional booth" then the realisim would go up a few notches.

About the area they are in, I'm still scrathing my head on that one.

(I guess they cordon off certain areas for the colonists on a certian day and give them the chance to go there).

BlueCadwal

[4]Aug 26, 2009
    I never said I think the outside help and camera people ruined the show, in fact that more intrigues me than anything. I'm just interested in the behind the scenes stuff and how often it really impacts the survivors, and I'm hoping that when released to DVD we'll get to see some of that.

dunbrine47

[5]Aug 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    Yes I would kill to have a behind the scenes special when this show is over.