The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley

NBC (ended 1988)

NeitherSparky

The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley Fan Reviews (2)

• An extremely unique cartoon series about Ed Grimley and his zany crew of friends and aquaintances. Full of catch-phrases and amazing voice work from many of Martin Short\'s talented SCTV alumni. Probably not for everyone, but brilliant in its own right.

I thought I was the only person on the planet who remembered this show. Well, besides my friend Christine who was my only highschool friend who shared the sense of humour necessary to \'get\' this wonderful show. I still giggle when thinking of some of the great lines. In particular, the songs stick in my head. Who couldn\'t laugh at \'On a pretty decent day\' or \'Don\'t leave us Mrs. Frebus\'? Once upon a time I collected these on video (remember BETA anyone?) but alas, I\'ve no idea where the tape ended up. I would LOVE to see them again. If anyone ever learns of their release on DVD, please drop me a line. I\'ll be first on the pre-order list. I suppose I can\'t really explain the attraction, but I think wacky comedy, with intelligent dialogue has always appealed to me. I wish Ed had been hatched in today\'s world of 500+ channels. I\'m sure he could have found a permanent home along side the likes of The Simpsons, SouthPark or even SpongeBob. Ed\'s adventures ended all too soon. I just hope I\'ll get a chance to call up Christine, and have her over for a giggle at Ed\'s expense in the not-too-distant future.
  • This show was as doomed as doomed could be, sad to say.

I remember watching this show when it first came out, when I was about 13 or so. I recall enjoying it but not really "appreciating" it. When I watch it now, I can really appreciate it, though I can also see its flaws. The main flaw that I can see is its lack of linear storytelling - the epsiodes tend to have very rambling stories with a hazy plot and even hazier subplots. However, the storytelling itself is fun, if you don't mind scenes that contribute nothing to the plot (as it were).

The *best* thing about this show is its characters. People who say Ed Grimley is a stupid character probably have never taken the time to really observe him. I think he's terriffic, and I just can't get tired of him. The show's supporting characters are great (Wendell is my favorite, I'd love if he were *my* little brother). Count Floyd is my HERO. And Miss Malone and Ed totally belong together, "no question." Too bad the show didn't last long enough for that to happen. But in my mind, it did in time. :)