The Contender Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on ESPNIn Season

FINALE - Forbes vs. Brewer

USSOCOM

[1]Sep 20, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think this is going to be a good one.  I do have to admit that I am pulling for Brewer because I thought this show was about giving an opportunity to someone who never got one.  Forbes was a former title holder....he had his chance and if he wins I can't see the excitement because he was a favorite to win this thing from the get-go.  Almost as if he signed up for the show to make an easy check.  Where's the Rock"o" effect....the guy who "NEVER" got a chance and now when he does makes the best of it and pulls off one of the biggest upsets.  This is why I'm pulling for Brewer....35 yrs old, not much time left to prove himself, raising a family out in Oklahoma.  Forbes shows up with his wife/manager....collects a check....and soon after gets ANOTHER shot at ANOTHER title because he's already world ranked .  Let's go Grady!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

girluvsbxing

[2]Sep 20, 2006
    i tptally agree with this statement . i caught that factin te beginning ,that Steve was ranked and had a title. He should not even be on the show period. I am no fan of grady's either,. Still sore that he beat Bravo. I do want to see Grady win . This will be good they both are strong and quick, they have the same rock'em sock'em style of throwing punches. They are animals/gladiators. I am amazed how fast and consistent they can punch

USSOCOM

[3]Sep 21, 2006
    I would have liked to see Bravo win the whole the thing for his family, but he's a stright at you kind of boxer who lets you hit him. You saw how Grady was able to hit him and move and you could be sure Forbes would have been able to do the same thing. Like I said, would have loved to see Bravo win the whole thing but Grady is definately a better match for Forbes. Both quick, both slip and punch well...BUT Grady is taller with a longer reach and hopefully he uses that to his advantage. Also, I believe there is an stinch in the air that people think Forbes can't be beat....Grady needs to lose that thought or he's already beat. Let's Go Grady!

girluvsbxing

[4]Sep 21, 2006
    Yes , i do think Grady to be the better match for Steve as well. It just irks the hell out of me that Steve is already living the dream that these guys are after. Dont you think that Steve was a wrong choice to be on the show to begin with. it takes awa from the spirit of the show. but anyhow I think Grady might be a bit faster than Steve. I think that they have he same endurance level and are powerful when tired.,Grady is going to have to cover him self well . I think they will come out fast and hard at the beginnig and it will be non stop. Go Grady , cause i hate Steve. Grady might have to focus on getting some good body shots in and wear Steve dowm. Then he can launch the attack.

jackee0

[5]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 5
    Yea!  I am so glad Grady won!  He fought a very smart fight.  I like the way he spoke at the need the same thing he said throughout the show....'he just needed the proper training and  time to be the best he could be.'  He really proved that and this is really what this kind of show is about....giving someone like Grady the barometer to check out his real skills once given the means and opportunity. 

jackee0

[6]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    I just loved the look on Sugar Ray and 'The Latin Snakes' face when their boy did not pull through and Grady's nane was called. It was all Sugar could do to force fed the words at the end as he handed Grady the belt. Sugar and Mora's attitude was pulling for Forbes. Mora even said it when speaking to Tddy that he expected Forbes to do something special toward the end of the match. Yea and he did...he laid all over Grady to rest as much as possible. They must have dropped a bundle on Forbes only to hear Grady's name call the winner...so sweet!

chrismart83

[7]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 9
    im so happy Grady won, i think he deserved it. a great end to a great series.

iversonwings

[8]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 7
        I've watched every episode of The Contender seasons 1 and 2. First season was great. I wish I could say that for the second season too. There's no doubt in my mind that the second season was rigged. You can tell by the scores the judges give. This show is all about the underdog, and do you actually think it's just a coincidence that the underdog Brewer won? Forbes was a top ranked fighter and Brewer used to work at a Goodyear tire company. Hmmm seems fishy to me. And Brewer fights like a girl. He has no technique, he just throws a lot of weak jabs. If he fought, Sergio Mora, Manfredo, K-9, Curiel, or Alfonso, Brewer would have gotten beaten easily. Wait no he wouldn't because The Contender is rigged!

USSOCOM

[9]Oct 19, 2006
    I highly doubt this was rigged. Just because one fighter was a world champ and the other worked at goodyear doesn't mean that he (champ) already won the fight. Brewer was a seasoned fighter as were most of the contestants. The only thing that surprised me about the judges' scores was the one who thought Forbes actually won the main event. I think the only judge who watched all the rounds was the first one who scored it like 97-93 or something like that. Although it was a very boring main event as opposed to last years and the bronze medal medal fight of this year, Grady did what he had to do to win (punch and tie up)...I mean $500K and a new truck were up for grabs.

strike1stracing

[10]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 2
    Absolutely no way was the final fight rigged.  I'm not sure which fight you watched, but Grady kicked his a**.  Just because Grady worked full time @ Goodyear and wasn't a champ like Forbes obviously didn't mean a thing.  Like Grady said all along - he just needed time to actually train, and he could win it.  He definately proved that to me!  I was amazed at how much he had improved.  Forbes didn't do crap!!