The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Cliff and Clair

wheelrchair

[1]Dec 5, 2007
    • level: 15
    Do you think Cliff and Clair ever came down hard on their kids . One episode that comes to mind is the episode where Vanessa snuck off to meet Jeremy. I know she lied and that is wrong but that next day when Jeremy came by Clair was kinda rough on Vanessa and that part where Cliff said, I'm coming up these stairs but it is not because i love you. What they should have done was find out why she snuck off because it was obvious that they had met Jeremy and his parents, so why did she have to sneak off. Instead of humiluating her they should of just lectured her and then ground her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVvuer69

[2]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 58

Two episodes come to mind. First is Theo's Dirty Laundry, when they learned Theo moved into Justine's dorm after her college roommate dropped out. They threatened to cut him off financially and even though he left her dorm, they wouldn't allow him back in the house. He temporarily stayed with Justine's parents until he moved to a new apartment. Second was Off to See the Wretched, when Vanessa and her friends planned a secret trip to Baltimore to go to a concert. Various mishaps occured from Kara's brother's car getting stolen, the girls going the rest of the way via bus, then losing their tickets to a con man upon arriving, and then lost the rest of their money for a return trip home. Cliff and Clair eventually had to pick them up and in the last scene, Clair was in a total rage over Vanessa's irresponsibility. She went upstairs crying after Clair even scared Rudy back to bed when she tried to spy on them. Both episodes were from season 6.

There was also Denise Drives from season 2. Denise had gotten angry with her parents when they wouldn't allow her to take out all the money from her bank account to get the car she was interested in. She gives a griping speech about being in America and then Clair puts her foot down bringing up the issue of being her safety net and assuring her if she ever spoke to them like that again, she could take out whatever money's in her account and go discover America. Prior to the above episodes, that was a pretty powerful lecture.

Edited on 12/10/2007 6:55pm

mikeny99

[3]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    Yeah it was a little harsh. Not really in line with the other shows.

tijania7

[4]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 11

harsh?!! tough?!!

i WISH i was disciplined like the cosby kids!!!!

their form of discipline was from love and patience (most of the times) and absent of loss of control and misplaced rage.

the important thing was to reinforce the "lesson to be learned" and the use of firm limit setting, than to engage in unnecessary yelling, hitting, animosity, power struggles, etc.

in my opinion, that's how discipline should be done if parents want to maintain a healthy relationship w/their children and have an adult child who doesn't have those "traumatic childhood" stories related to poor parenting.

ya know, come to think of it, most of my favorite episodes were the creative discipline methods...

remember "the real world" when the took all of Theo's furniture out of his room, Rudy was the bank manager, the kitchen was the furniture store, etc. the whole family was into it. even Cockroach.

remember when rudy and vanessa were forced to live in the basement until able to "get along"

that episode when vanessa suck out and was caught due to rudy's botched cover up, remember cliff and clair moved the sofa to face the door so when she came in, they would be the first thing she saw?! that was hilarious!

millerem99

[5]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 51

I thought that Cliff and Claire were almost perfect parents in how they mingled love and discipline. Definitely not at all too tough...I think they tried to do what a parent's job ultimately is: to raise kids capable of living in the real world...without relying on parents all the time.

Edited on 04/03/2008 1:11pm

mt7787

[6]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 4
    millerem99 wrote:

I thought that Cliff and Claire were almost perfect parents in how they mingled love and discipline. Definitely not at all too tough...I think they tried to do what a parent's job ultimately is: to raise kids capable of living in the real world...without relying on parents all the time.

Sorry, but I don't think you have it right here. This is a good show, but there are problems with it. There's another family show, also on Nick at Night, I started watching recently that kind of really revealed, no offense, that this show is quite fake and lived in a family friendly realm. A real family, like a real marriage, isn't supposed to be as family friendly as the Huxtables or as Cliff and Clair's marriage. There were a few times that Cliff told the kids "Shut up!" This is the only family show that the kids would just sit down and take that! And sorry, but mentioning the 3 to 5 episodes where Cliff and Clair argued seriously isn't going to change the fact that their marriage was too unrealistic. Anyone ever see Home Improvement, also on Nick at Night? That marriage was anything but perfect but it was real. To see a real marriage I recommend watching that show. To see a real family, guess and watch the other family show I was talking about. Bottom line, this show was good, but just not really realistic, that includes the marriage. In addition being too tough on your kids, like Cliff and Clair were at times, is as bad as being too easy with them.
    Edited on 07/07/2008 11:43am

Clem4077

[7]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 7
    I didn't think they were too tough. A lot of times they were rather fair I thought, though other times they could be too soft. Such as in the episode, "There's No Place Like This Home." Where they allow Sondra and Elvin to bully them into letting they and their children stay in the already overcrowded house. Goodness, Elvin was a man, head of his own family, and he stooped, along with Sondra, into using his own children to guilt his inlaws into supporting their family. What about his own parents? Maybe this episode was supposed to be funny how Cliff and Clair were taken advantage of, but I found it irritating, and I wished they'd sent them packing (or at least Sondra and Elvin).

millerem99

[8]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 51

CLiff and Clair might not have been your typical or average family, but I don't think that that makes them unrealistic. I don't remember the "shut up" episode (which I certainly don't agree with) but overall I thought the Huxtables were very similar to my own upbringing. My parents got along and are still in love 33 years later, and when they had a conflict they didn't argue in front of us kids. I don't think that's being "perfect" so much as not letting your disagreements get out of control. (Tim and Jill on Home Improvement are funny but Tim is a big baby and too immature and annoying to make a dependable husband. They were almost never on the same page about anything).

I think people take for granted that other families are like their own, no matter what that may be, the reality is families are vastly different. Some, believe it or not, really are that respectful of each other.

Edited on 10/12/2008 1:28pm

Nikkles

[9]Nov 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    millerem99 wrote:

Exactly they raised their kids to think of the best of people and love, but not to be stupid nor to think the world was only rainbows and sunshine.