The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

How realistic is "The Cosby Show"? Project for school - please post

German_student

[1]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 2

Hi,

I'm a student from Germany and at the moment I'm working on a project about how the rise of the African Americans in American Society is represented in American Comedy/Family-series.

I'll also make similar topics on the "Everybody hates Chris"-board and "Family Matters"-board .

Thank you vey much.

EDIT:

To be honest, I will remove all polls - due to the low activity.

I don't think that it will be a big loss. But nevertheless, thanky you for help, I really appreciate this. ^^

Please feel free to post some of your ideas about how realistic these series. (Are the families representative for most African Americans? What were the intentions of the producers? etc.)

http://www.tv.com/everybody-hates-chris/show/34457/the-authenticity-of-andquoteverybody-hates-chrisandquot-survey-for-school---plea/topic/15304-957250/msgs.html?tag=board_topics;title;0

http://www.tv.com/family-matters/show/474/how-realistic-is-andquotfamily-mattersandquot-project-for-school---please-vote/topic/521-959990/msgs.html?tag=board_topics;title;1

(I'm sorry if I made some grammar/spelling mistakes - English is not my mother tongue )

Edited on 02/16/2008 4:27am
    Edited 7 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tijania7

[2]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 11

um, my first thought is... "what century are you living in?!"

update to "African-American"

your study, otherwise sounds very interesting. i'd be interested in seeing the results. On a side note, the "image of Brooklyn" wasn't necessarily a focal point of the show and, (not to nick-pick) but...

your survey question does not seem to be related to the topic of "how the rise of the African Americans in American Society is represented in American Comedy/Family-series."

not too many people post on this forum (or the other ol' school show you mentioned) , so you probably won't get much on which to add to your "project."

anyway, good luck (and please, retire the "Afro American")

German_student

[3]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 2

So, I have a couple of more questions concerning "The Cosby Show" and the 2 other shows for my project. It has been a long time ago when I watched this show regulary and my work is based on several episodes and articles. To prevent mistakes, I would be very happy if an "expert" of this series could help me with some questions:

Has "The Cosby Show" ever dealed with the issue of racism in some episodes? I know, the series wants to show the social equality of African Americans, but is there any episodes there an African American is attacked by a white due to racism motives?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this question.

millerem99

[4]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 51

I am not an expert, but I don't remember the series ever dealing with racism in terms of any of them being victimized. Bill Cosby was not - and is not -a victim, which is why he has separated with so many modern black leaders and called them out for what they're doing to divide the country, rather than unite it.

I doubt, either, that he would have taken offense to the term "Afro American," especially as you are not a native speaker and therefore not up on what is currently politically correct.