The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

The Jeffersons vs The Cosby Show

leshog70

[1]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 2

I wanted to write this topic for a while. a lot of people give the Cosby Show all the credit for showcasing African Americans in a positive way but forget about the Jeffersons here you have a character like George Jefferson who was poor who became a successful business man, if that,s not positive I dont know what is.I remember watching the Today show years ago and the late Isabel Sanford said in a interview "I dont know why Bill Cosby gets all the credit" I agree with her 100%, granted the Cosby show was more family friendly then the Jeffersons but it still does not dispute the fact that the Jeffersons also showcased African Americans in a positive way

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ez1jb

[2]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 14
    Cosby wins

cherbear16

[3]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 12
    Cosby wins definitely. I mean i respect the Jeffersons for using the idea of a poor man getting successful, but George Jefferson just wasn't a family man and his show wasn't very family oriented. Also, the Cosby show didnt have the main father figure being some what crude at times and spurting out racial slurs at his black neighbor who has a white husband. Plus the Jeffersons was one of those shows that was more geared towards an African-American adult audience. True it was a spin off of a sitcom that was geared towards a white audience, but it was still a show more suitable for adults. Where as the Cosby show was meant to not only satisfy African-American audiences, but families in general. I mean i love the Jeffersons, but the Cosby show really does deserve all the credit it has gotten.

sitcomfreak

[4]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 18
    Cherbear16: that's exactly why The Jeffersons win, b/c the main male character wasn't perfect, and had flaws. All The Cosby Show ever did was depict a 99% happy family, with 1% problems, and if they dealt with them they could never push the envelope and be real like Roseanne was. And The Jeffersons dealt with a wide range of more believable things like racism, inflation, forced retirement, etc.

THE JEFFERSONS WINS!

Ppunkinseed

[5]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 16

This is why they actually both tie. Each was groundbreaking in it's own way. The Jeffersons portrayed one side of Black family life while The Cosby Show portrayed yet another as did Good Times, for that matter.

salois

[6]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 4

The jeffersons Wins They are The Best and will always be the best

I Love The Jeffersons alot more the the cosby show, i do not know what i would do without George and weezy PERIOD

SupaPIZZAsaiyan

[7]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 4
    The Cosby Show rules all, Bill Cosby is a funny guy.