The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

The Wretched

cheesecakehead

[1]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 17

... I wonder and wish we got to see what Vanessa's punishment was. I was honestly scared when Claire got up in Vanessa's face and screamed. In fact, I think she may have crossed the line as far as acceptable behavior in parenting. This has always been one of my favorite The Cosby Show episodes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pamhalpert

[2]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 14

I always thought Vanessa was the one expendable character in the show. I always thought her story lines were boring.

cheesecakehead

[3]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 17
    pamhalpert wrote:

I always thought Vanessa was the one expendable character in the show. I always thought her story lines were boring.

Vanessa's my favorite Cosby kid actually. The episodes written specifically about her character are some of my favorites: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?, I'm 'In' with the 'In' Crowd, and this one, Off to see the Wretched. Although, I don't like the whole Vanessa getting married story arch. I know what you mean kinda about Vanessa, but when Pam was brought on did you miss Vanessa at all, or realize how well her character did fit in and was part of the show? I know I missed her. My ranking of the Cosby kids is Vanessa, Theo, Rudy, Sondra, & Denise. Denise should be higher, but ranks last in my book due to all her problems with the show and additionally when she came back on the show, I don't feel her character was the same as it was intended. I got the impression she was fairly intelligent in the beginning, later dropped out of college. I gave Theo the edge over Rudy just because of his episodes in the beginning and when he was in high school. Later in the series, I think he's pretty one-dimensional. I relate most to Vanessa.

pamhalpert

[4]Mar 29, 2010

I loved "I'm in with the "in" crowd". I hated Pam, but I loved the Dabnis Brickey character. I think the fact that he was old made for alot of great comedy. Especially when he first met the grandparents.

rhodiecub

[5]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 7

I agree with the posting above about Vanessa. Her storylines got better in the later years of the show. I couldn't stand Denise when they brought her back, she was so annoying and it just a big mistake to bring her back on the show. Vanessa always had these surprises with, "The Wretched", "I'm with the in crowd" and "On our way to Carnegie." Those always were interesting episodes.

pamhalpert

[6]Apr 8, 2010

Denise got boring when she became a mom.

mylibby523

[7]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 23

Clair's yelling at Vanessa was strong (not scary), and it was definitely necessary...I mean, she lied and expected "I'm sorry" to make everything better...she and her goofball friends left a car in Wilmington and it was stripped...they went five hours away, got duped by a scalper,and had no money to get home...the four were lucky they weren't raped or killed...Clair was PERFECTLY justified in going off...IMHO, this doesn't happen often enough with kids...and yes, I'm old school!

pamhalpert

[8]Apr 2, 2011
    mylibby523 wrote:

Clair's yelling at Vanessa was strong (not scary), and it was definitely necessary...I mean, she lied and expected "I'm sorry" to make everything better...she and her goofball friends left a car in Wilmington and it was stripped...they went five hours away, got duped by a scalper,and had no money to get home...the four were lucky they weren't raped or killed...Clair was PERFECTLY justified in going off...IMHO, this doesn't happen often enough with kids...and yes, I'm old school!

Me to Bro... Born in 1978!!!

mylibby523

[9]Jan 31, 2012
    • level: 23

Vanessa should have gotten the back of Clair's hand imprinted on her face or rear end...but, I guess they couldn't show that on TV...