The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Theogate

cheesecakehead

[1]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 17

Just having a Cosby marathon.

Just wondering if it bothered anyone else that Theo was not reprimanded for, with Cockroach, making fun of the girl who worked at Circus Burger, making jokes about her being overweight. I know he a little bit later offered to go to Circus Burger and apologize on his own, but nothing was even said about it. In fact, they were ALL taken out for ice cream after the mock court case. Just wondering. Smile

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 52
    Yes I was a little upset about that. And I was wondering why they didn't do it either.

pamhalpert

[3]Mar 15, 2010
    • level: 14

It was because Claire proved her point at the "trial", and she thought Theo learned his lesson after having to lie to cover up lies.

cheesecakehead

[4]Mar 21, 2010

Yes, but him specifically making fun of someone because they were overweight was not addressed within the mock trial. It seemed to be glossed over in favor of focusing on Theo lying.

pamhalpert

[5]Mar 21, 2010
    cheesecakehead wrote:

Yes, but him specifically making fun of someone because they were overweight was not addressed within the mock trial. It seemed to be glossed over in favor of focusing on Theo lying.

Yes, but if you remember, Theo said that he was going to go down to Circus Burger the next day and apologize to the overweight girl.

cheesecakehead

[6]Mar 22, 2010

Yes, which I did point out in my first post. I guess my point is like I said the focus seemed to be rather on lying than the fact that Theo made fun of a girl who was overweight. Claire Huxtabull never likes lying, but in this episode it seemed that what Theo actually did was actually overlooked in favor of dealing with him lying. And, actually I think what he initially did, making fun of a girl whom was overweight, was worse than the lying. When he said he would go back to Circus Burger and apologize, I believe was after Cliff said lets all get some ice cream too. I didn't think that was enough either, they didn't really reprimand him or discuss it further with him. It just always struck me as odd that they didn't really reprimand Theo about teasing someone which doesn't seem very "Cosby-like" I guess one could say. This is a little more in depth than I wanted to go into this. :-)

pamhalpert

[7]Mar 28, 2010

You can never go to "In Depth". That is what forums are for. I love discussing my favorite old shows, even if it's pointless, it's still fun. I will continue to check this board regularly.

I think I already said it, but Claire stated that Theo had to lie to cover up lies, and he was mentally tortured over this incident. That was punishment enough. Claire felt like she got the victory by breaking Theo on the stand.