The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Worst mistake on The Cosby Show

TVvuer69

[1]Oct 4, 2005
    • level: 58
    What in your opinion, was the worst mistake they made on The Cosby Show? For me, I always thought they screwed up by not restoring the original season 7 theme. For those of you who don't remember, there was some sort of dispute over the background mural that was used for that particular year. There was an original one created by kids at an inner city youth center, but it was redesigned by the background artists and those who ran the center felt the kids should have gotten a mention in the end credits. They put up a lawsuit and the response was to drop the season 7 theme altogether during that season. A settlement was made later that year, but unfortunately, they stuck with the season 6 theme with the simple addition of "Erika Alexander as Pam". I thought they should have brought back the original S7 theme IMO since it included Lisa Bonet and Joseph C. Phillips. The following season, we got little more than an edited version of the S7 theme which didn't include Denise and Martin. This I found to be disappointing. I did like that compilation theme they used for the final episode and wished they had used that for the entire 8th season since it was known for some time that would be the show's final season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

algetrig91

[2]Oct 8, 2005
    • level: 34
    I still think adding a kid after the pilot is a mistake.

dan62tvt

[3]Oct 13, 2005
    • level: 19
    If I can take a quote from your post:
    I think the worst thing was "Erika Alexander as Pam." She added nothing to the show, and that's when I stopped watching.

Raging_Samurai

[4]Oct 14, 2005
    • level: 4
    Pam wasn't a good match on the Cosby Show. I wish they had directed more episodes toward Theo, Rudy, Olivia, or Cliff or Claire. However at the end of the Cosby Show they got such a huge family that it was hard to make an episode for each character without messing up the show.

chickonspeed

[5]Oct 15, 2005
    • level: 3
    Pam was such a mistake on that show.
    The branching out happened, because a few of the children were not going to appear as regular as they used to.
    However, such a mistake.

I could not watch when Pam showed up.

Those last few seasons were sort of depressing.

sims259

[6]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 12
    algetrig91 wrote:
    I still think adding a kid after the pilot is a mistake.

i agree!!

GuyluvsGod

[7]Nov 17, 2005
    • level: 8
    Yeah, the last season and even a couple in the previous season got to be kinda depressing.

mrsfleeshman

[8]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 51
    I think that however good a show is it will always reach a point when it gets a bit bad and goes downhill

mrsfleeshman

[9]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 51
    I think that however good a show is it will always reach a point when it gets a bit bad and goes downhill

xbox_lover

[10]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 10
    mrsfleeshman wrote:

Yep thats true, except for the few shows that go out on a high note

GuyluvsGod

[11]Dec 26, 2005
    dan62tvt wrote:
    I think the worst thing was "Erika Alexander as Pam." She added nothing to the show, and that's when I stopped watching.

In some ways, Pam's kinda like Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. After all, she comes to move in with her relatives because her mom wanted her to, she moves right around the time Will does, and she's a kid about Will's age.
    But the show did not revolve around her, she wasn't even a main character, and she was not as urbanized as Will.

Just my thoughts.

RCC2K5

[12]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 18
    dan62tvt wrote:

I don't know what's so wrong about Pam. I watched the whole season seven aired on Nick @ Nite this week. I didn't see anything wrong with Pam. And as already mentioned by somebody else, it's not like all the episodes revolved around her, nor she behaved as wildly as Will Smith on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Now, I think a big mistake was the inconsistency regarding Cliff's full name. Sometimes it was Clifford, most of the time it was Heathcliff, and there was at least one time where we was called Heathclifford!

port5170

[13]Jan 1, 2006
    • level: 12
    most the mistakes were just that, But I guess If I had to pick one it would be not Utilizing the older kids more.. and the Grandparents ange..

deshaun10

[14]Jan 5, 2006
    • level: 11
    Like someone else said, adding a child after the pilot. I remember once this conversation happened between Claire and Cliff.
    Claire: Cliff, why did we have 4 children?
    Cliff: Because we didn't want 5

But later the 5th child came

Mahoganie3

[15]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 16
    RCC2K5 wrote:

Now, I think a big mistake was the inconsistency regarding Cliff's full name. Sometimes it was Clifford, most of the time it was Heathcliff, and there was at least one time where we was called Heathclifford!

The name "Clifford" appeared only on the plaque. No one ever called him Clifford. A lot of shows makes changes after the pilot, which is one episode where that name appeared. Also, Clair called him Heathclifford as a silly name, and she only called him that when he was in trouble. Kind of like a pet name.

tanyagirl

[16]Jan 17, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think adding Pam to show, she was to different from the rest of the show. And besides she did not add anything to show. the last season was a mistake too. It was very boring.

BlakeMP

[17]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    Pam wasn't a big enough mistake to make me stop watching, but I agree that she didn't really add anything to the show. I imagine she was added because Vanessa was off to college and Rudy wasn't yet old enough to provide the troubled teen storylines -- they needed someone in-between. Still, I think there was more than enough life in the characters they already had, she was just unnecessary.

jaimers

[18]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 3

the biggest mistake was not continuing.  Of course they have been on the air for a long time but i would love to have seen vanessa get married to dabnis and come home pregnant with triplets. Rudy gets accepted to college and that is where it should of ended it could of went on for another season. Rudy would of went to Spelman College (she did attend) and when rudy left to go to college Clair and Cliff would of said at the very end

We finally have the house to ourselves.

Pam would of moved to CA to take care of her mother.

Martin and denise was already in sinagapore. and they sent for olivia after theo graduation.

magentamackie

[19]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 11
    I didnt like pam either she wasnt apart of the family

mtgfan101

[20]Jul 14, 2006

Although this doesn't concern the actual plot of the show, I think the worst thing was Raven Symone as Olivia. I hope I'm not making any of her fans feel bad, but I just think she is so full of herself. I've read she actually watches her own TV show! (OK, sure, it doesn't sound bad right now, but take it from someone who has acted--after rehearsing over and over and over, you get very bored of and annoyed by the storyline; and then she watches herself act the story?)

I'm definitely not saying she's the worst thing to ever happen to Stardom in general, but she wouldn't be so unlikable (to me) if she toned it down a notch.