The Cosby Show Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Worst mistake on The Cosby Show

in-correct

[21]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    jaimers wrote:

the biggest mistake was not continuing.  Of course they have been on the air for a long time but i would love to have seen vanessa get married to dabnis and come home pregnant with triplets. Rudy gets accepted to college and that is where it should of ended it could of went on for another season. Rudy would of went to Spelman College (she did attend) and when rudy left to go to college Clair and Cliff would of said at the very end

We finally have the house to ourselves.

Pam would of moved to CA to take care of her mother.

Martin and denise was already in sinagapore. and they sent for olivia after theo graduation.

I have probably said this a million times, but what I think about the worst mistake is about the way that Olivia was written into the show... They make Martin's first wife look really bad, and they messed up on her explanation on why she left Martin. I would have written that she couldn't live with a husband that was gone all the time..... and since that wouldn't be good for Olivia either, that the only thing that her Martin's first wife did wrong was leave Olivia with Martin. She is raised by Cliff ( who becomes good friends with her ) and Denise, and Martin is gone all the time. Later, The Kendalls move to Singapore and they take Olivia with them. And also Denise had a baby, so now they have two kids that will have to go through with all of that.... Both Olivia and the new kid wouldn't have to go through with all of that if it wasn't for Martin. I think that it is his fault, and not his ex-wife's.

They could still have written Olivia into the show in a different way, and maybe even keep Martin's ex-wife as Olivia's birth mother, because she also went to college, and she could have known Denise because Denise went back to college. and we'd still get to see Olivia on the show, and she could also be Kenny's cousin.

All of that is what I think about is the biggest mistake that she made....

That is very interesting about the problems that they had with the openings....

And what's wrong with Pam?! At least she isn't annoying as Theo.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mechminx

[23]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    i agree - Rudy waaay outperformed Olivia and Pam was just... ew

txgirl75

[24]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 23
    Pam i just didn't care for her. Why did The girl that played Vanessa leave anyway?

TVvuer69

[25]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 58
    Tempestt Bledsoe, like Vanessa, went to college around the seventh season and wasn't going to be on the show as much. 

DMoore159

[26]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 5

tanyagirl wrote:
    I think adding Pam to show, she was to different from the rest of the show. And besides she did not add anything to show. the last season was a mistake too. It was very boring.

Yeah. They even tried to have Cosby be hip by making him saying stuff like, "What's happenin' homegirl?", "Yo, Homey." And stuff like that. I think the two last season was boring, predictable, and trying to be "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". I think other shows was trying to be like "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", also.

txgirl75

[27]Nov 4, 2006
    DMoore159 wrote:

tanyagirl wrote:
    I think adding Pam to show, she was to different from the rest of the show. And besides she did not add anything to show. the last season was a mistake too. It was very boring.

Yeah. They even tried to have Cosby be hip by making him saying stuff like, "What's happenin' homegirl?", "Yo, Homey." And stuff like that. I think the two last season was boring, predictable, and trying to be "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". I think other shows was trying to be like "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", also.

I didn't care for the last two seasons either.

ClaudeLv250

[28]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 4
    I had no idea so many people hated Pam. I didn't think she hardly did enough to get on that many people's radars.

BCzar

[29]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think one of the big mistakes they made was when they "neutered" Elvin (Geoffrey Owens). When they first introduced him, he was a male chauvinist, but at least he had a personality. After he married Sondra (Sabrina LeBeouf) and became a regular, he was such a wimp. How did he father twins with no balls?

czperry

[30]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 5
    in reference to heathcliffs name... he started out being clifford and his name was changed to heathcliff. phylicia rashad calls him "heathclifford" to purpose to make fun of the name change.

shelley06

[31]Jan 6, 2007
    • level: 21
    BlakeMP wrote:
    Pam wasn't a big enough mistake to make me stop watching, but I agree that she didn't really add anything to the show. I imagine she was added because Vanessa was off to college and Rudy wasn't yet old enough to provide the troubled teen storylines -- they needed someone in-between. Still, I think there was more than enough life in the characters they already had, she was just unnecessary.

I agree. I thought Pam was not needed--actually I didn't even like her that much---but I still *really* liked some of the later episodes. The story didn't revolve around her to turn me away from watching, but the episodes that were mostly about Pam were annoying. Still, I liked Theo's storylines later in the series and I liked Vanessa's "adult" character.

Tia1225

[33]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 8
    Personally I never thought they should have added Sondra. The show didn't need her, in my opinion. The other four kids had more depth. Sondra was just fluff.

jwgrlrrajn

[34]Dec 9, 2007

Tia1225 wrote:
    Personally I never thought they should have added Sondra. The show didn't need her, in my opinion. The other four kids had more depth. Sondra was just fluff.

True that.

jwgrlrrajn

[35]Dec 9, 2007
    mtgfan101 wrote:

Although this doesn't concern the actual plot of the show, I think the worst thing was Raven Symone as Olivia. I hope I'm not making any of her fans feel bad, but I just think she is so full of herself. I've read she actually watches her own TV show! (OK, sure, it doesn't sound bad right now, but take it from someone who has acted--after rehearsing over and over and over, you get very bored of and annoyed by the storyline; and then she watches herselfact the story?)

I'm definitely not saying she's the worst thing to ever happen to Stardom in general, but she wouldn't be so unlikable (to me) if she toned it down a notch.

I gotta agree with you man, seriously, the only thing thatI saw her inwhere she wasn't annoying, was Zenon: girl of the 21st century. The episode that really portrayed her personality the way I see her is the one where Rudy is having that nightmare where Olivia was getting away with murder, so to speak.

However, she was kinda cute when she and Cliff were having an arguement about where babys come from.

yeah_i_short

[36]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    yeah they did change cliff's name a couple times and in the first season there was a couple times where vanessa called theo, (teddy) and I think they changed it to theo till later in the first season.

rhodiecub

[37]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 7

I think the 2 biggest mistakes that they made on the Cosby Show were bringing on Martin and Olivia and how Denise was brought back on the show. Olivia was just an annoying brat. Raven Simone's overacting as Olivia and constantly trying to be cute was just sickening. She added nothing to the show and really just brought it down.

Also, the way they wrote Denise back into the show was another huge mistake. I mean she marries some stranger while over in Africa and decides to be Mom to Olivia. Denise is way too self absored and irresponsible to be a mother. All she seemed to do is just on Cliff's and Claire's nerves. It would've been better if Denise were brought back on as part time character without Martinand Olivia. Starting with season 6 the show really started to go down hill.

txgirl75

[38]May 28, 2011
    Tia1225 wrote:
    I agree the show really didn't need Sandra I didn't really care for her either. Also I read that wasn't much younger then the actress that played Clare.

NikiMattson

[39]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 11
    I liked Sondra and Elvin and Martin and Denise, and even Olivia. Though I didn't like it when Sondra, Elvin and the twins moved in with them. I mean, how much can you SQUEEEEEZE in that house? Reminds me of Full House. After all, Cliff and Claire were getting...up there, Rudy was preteen, only about 5 years til she went off to college. They could have put Denise Martin and Olivia in a small apartment or something.
    And Pam, she SUCKED! Although I did like her friends Lance and Charmaine.
    I think they ended at just the right time...maybe a bit too late. But it was nice to see Theo graduate after seeing him as an irresponsible kid. It would have been nice to see Denise and Martin's new baby, see if Vanessa ever married Dabins or if she was fitted with a straitjacket, See Sondra get a job at a law firm, possibly Claire's firm, see Elvin get his own practice and see Rudy grow up and mature.

inqov

[40]May 28, 2012
    • level: 1

It seems to me that when The Cosby Show started, there was a very clear agenda of exactly what messages Cosby wanted to put across, whilst also providing comedy and entertainment. Cosby is not just another trashy American sitcom. It is funny, good family entertainment, and aims very much to educate and raise awareness of social, gender, racial and family issues. It does an excellent job. They covered an awful lot of subjects during the first six series and even started repeating some of the jokes from the earlier series. The attitudes of the viewing public would also have changed during this time, as times changed. In order to still provide value to a viewing audience, I am sure Cosby wanted to introduce another topic. So, series 7 was clearly just that. It had a very clear theme and Pam was an essential part of introducing that theme: the differences between rich and poor families and how it affects people. You see a lot of scenes where the poor people try to criticise Pam because of her link to the wealthy Huxtable family. This really happens and causes an awful lot of problems. You also see several scenes where the more wealthy, somehow spoilt Huxtable kids are shocked by those without the same opportunities, especially in the last episode where Theo talks about young kids having to quit Summer school in order to go to work. He also mentions his suspicions that a poor, young girl may have been stealing when in fact she was collecting left-over food to take home to her family. I am currently living in Manila and every day I see something that I have not seen in anywhere else during my travels - the close proximity of rich and poor. They literally live just metres apart - the homeless often sleep in the doorways of the rich. The local golf club is surrounded by beggars and toothless, dirty, homeless people who can barely scrabble enough to eat each day; their newly-born children laying naked in the dirt on the street, sleeping tight up against the fence of the golf club, keeping them off the lawns of leisure of the rich. The poor don't understand the rich. The rich can't even begin to contemplate the lives of the rich. I recently invited a nurse, aged 20, who has nearly completed her degree - which is very, very expensive here - to a franchise restaurant that was little more than a self-service cafeteria. Her gratitude was outstanding and surprising. Each meal cost less than two dollars, slightly more than a burger in a fast food chain here. It was the first time she had ever eaten in such a restaurant. I have a maid who I pay slightly more than five dollars per day, and occasionally she comes with me to the bars or restaurants and has finally, after a year of working for me, learned to accept food and drinks as a treat. The drinks bill often comes to more than her weekly salary. Incidentally, she never completed her schooling and has had an incredibly tough life, even at the tender age of 30. When we met, she barely spoke a word of English (very unusual here) but we watch Cosby together sometimes and I translate for her - the most amazing thing for me is that she laughs and says that she and the late-father of her child used to have exactly the same issues as the Huxtable family have had. Isn't that amazing? Having recently watched the first seven series of The Cosby Show, I would agree that Series 7 is not AS funny as the previous series. Why? Because they focus less on Mr Huxtable and more on the other crew who are simply not as funny as he is. It's normal. The man is immense. Not only funny, but immensely clever and comes across as a very wise man. However, I vehemently disagree that the introduction of the new cast members was a mistake. It occurs to me that Cosby has continued to illustrate themes that he considered very important to address, and has done so in a way that is entertaining and makes for very pleasant and thought-provoking viewing. I would like it if modern sitcoms, or even older sitcoms, could somehow address the same complex, important issues as well as carrying-off the light humour as well as Bill Cosby has managed to do. p.s. I read these comments a long time ago and came back to make this summary having watched series 7, dreading the introduction of Pam expecting to see a disappointing character who ruined the show I came back and signed up to the site just to make this comment. I hope that you did not fall asleep whilst reading it!!