The Cosby Show

Hillman

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 07, 1987 on NBC

6.8
  • The beginning was all right. The rest was pointless.

I know Cosby must have been trying to inspire young people to go to college with this episode, but it was still terribly dull and pretentious and did not make for good TV. It mostly consisted of Cliff reminiscing with his college professors, and then a very long commencement ceremony. Clair sang in the choir at the ceremony and the camera kept cutting to the doe-eyed awe and clasped hands of the Huxtable kids. It was just way too corny. The word "Hillman" is repeated so many times in this ep you would think Cosby was trying to encourage kids to go there--except it's fictional, so I don't see why so much time was spent fawning over Hillman, a college that doesn't even exist. The lady who was taking over the college gave the sappiest, most pretentious speech: "Why did I agree to accept this position as the president of Hillman? Because....it is....Hillman!" Snoozefest.
  • The show depicts the changing of the guard from Dr Haynes (Dr Benjamin E Mays-Character) to Dr Bracey (Spelman Alumnae Like Pres.). The episode leans heavily on the traditions & historical aspects of Spelman/Morehouse filmed in Sisters Chapel at Spelman.

This show introduces us to Hillman College a fictional depiction of the renowned historically Black Colleges Spelman and Morehouse of Atlanta, GA. The show draws heavily from the traditions and the activities of the Spelman College experience in a Founder\'s Day like celebration. The Show is filmed on the campus of Spelman College in Reynolds’s Cottage - home of the College President and the beautiful Sisters Chapel. Clair and Heathcliff Huxtuble return to their Alma Mater to participate in this changing of the presidential guard of the college episode along with the full Huxtable clan including the Huxtable Grandparents who are also Hillman Alumni. This is an excellent episode that probably led to the development of the spin-off show - A Different World which is based on the Hillman College campus. The messages and traditions are true to character of Spelman College and I found it to be most rewarding to see my Alma Mater depicted in this fictional episode. Keisha Knight Pullman (Rudy) claims this episode lead clearly guided her decision to attend Spelman and as we also know many other young girls to make the same decision. - An Excellent Episode
CW