The Cosby Show

Live and Learn

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 26, 1990 on NBC

• Denise Gets A Reality Check

This isn't a great standout episode but the sage advice Rebecca gives Denise about the profession is SO TRUE. Teaching is more than just glorified babysitting with clever production techniques. Olivia's preschool teacher who thinks outside the box and has the resources to create innovative lesson plans really does make teaching look like the best job in the world!

I was once like Denise, except I actually HAD the bachelor's degree in elementary education and was ready to mold young minds and influence lives. What I wasn't prepared for was having to compete with thousands of other teachers for a handful of openings. Being a substitute teacher was very rewarding at times but I finally crashed and burned. I feel sorry for Denise already. "Don't do it!" Rebecca"s demonstration of "teaching in the real world" was absolutely spot on. I met plenty of balky children who claimed stupidity just to get out of doing an assignment and parents complaining because their child wasn't given special treatment. Anyone who is considering a future career in teaching needs to watch this episode.