The Cosby Show

The Infantry Has Landed (and They've Fallen Off the Roof)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 08, 1990 on NBC

5.2
  • The "Women's Day" Episode

I always thought this was a nice idea for mothers and daughters experiencing their first menarche. I just hope they include Midol with lunch as I never feel like going out and doing anything fun when "Aunt Flo" is visiting. Which leads to my main gripe with this episode because unfortunately by this time in the Cosby Show series the acting and the writing have gotten so bad that it's difficult to appreciate the main message. Everything feels forced and awkward. One example is the scene where Clair tells off Theo's friend Danny about a woman's monthly moods. Completely unnecessary. The B story of Theo giving Cliff a personality profile and the standard episode obligatory "cute scene" between Olivia and Cliff once again just gets in the way. The writers would've done better to leave all that out and instead borrow from one of Bill Cosby's best monologues "The Toothache" from Why is There Air? then take the opportunity to focus on this lost rite of passage for American girls when they become women and insert an educational moment on how other cultures celebrate it. Focus on the Huxtable women and get all the daughters involved. The female myths about what to do during this time and all the outrageous stories is where the real humor of this episode truly exists. Nevertheless, this is a good episode for Moms and daughters to watch and discuss together.