The Cosby Show

Theo's Holiday

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 03, 1986 on NBC

• Oh, that hurts! Because it's true!

I first saw this episode about teaching your child financial responsibility when I was 8 years old or so, and I thought it was so "cool" that the Huxtables took all of the time and care to help Theo realize the value of a dollar. I waited for the moment that my mother took a whole day, enlisted the help of other family members, and planned something similar (one of the downfalls of this show and others like it - Family Ties, Growing Pains, etc - is that it sets unattainable benchmarks to which are parents could never attain). But, alas, it was not to be. Watching it now as an adult, I think, "Fool (me)! Why didn't you listen to the wise Dr. and Mrs. Huxtable! Why didn't you learn the harsh realities of the real world the easy way with play money!" No, Theo...you are the lucky one. You didn't underestimate the real world as I did. Your example may have fallen on deaf ears, but you have given me an idea for my future children. So, they thank you...
  • My favorite episode!

This episode is so entertaining! It is always funny no matter how many times I see it. It is an excellent example of how fun and interesting it would be to live in the Cosby house-hold. There are humorous characters that Clair, Cliff, Denise, Vanessa, and Rudy play. My favorite was Rudy as the banker that wouldn’t give Theo a loan. The whole episode was amusing, and people of all ages would enjoy it from young to old. It is funny and teaches a lesson at the same time. You will have a very good time watching this classic Cosby episode.
  • In order to teach Theo a lesson about "the real world", the family decides to set up the house and become personalities such as a landlord at Real World Apartments, owners of the Chuck Wagon Restaurant and Amanda's Furniture City, and a receptionist at Fi

This is my all-time favorite Cosby Show episode because it's hilarious but of course it has that feel-good morale to it. What I've always liked most about The Cosby Show is the interaction between the kids and the parents, and the way they know each other so well. This is a family whose members like to joke around with each other, and with (Heath)Cliff Huxtable (Mr. Bill Cosby) as the head of the family, it's easy to believe that they like to take on certain characters. This is demonstrated in other episodes, such as when Alvin imitates Cliff while wearing his pajamas or when Cliff and the kids do a lip-synch routine to James Brown's "I Got the Feeling". Nowhere is this tendency to take on roles more evident than in this episode. The quotes for the episode listed here don't seem all that funny, but what makes the episode so hilarious is the timing and delivery of lines of each actor. From Cliff to Rudy (who does an excellent portrayal of Mrs. Griswold, the alcoholic owner of Real World Apartments) and Cockroach (who becomes so involved with the game, at one point he asks, "Who's playing your dad?"), this episode is sure to have you shaking in your seat with laughter!
  • The Huxtables teach Theo how it is in the REAL WORLD!

this was a great episode..i was shocked when i saw it because just the day before my mom played the same trick on me! It was like Deja Vu. I will play this trick on my daughter when she gets up in age...a real life lesson for sure. JUST GREAT
CTRC